Home‎ > ‎

7-Terra Nova Bay

Leaving Cape Adare on 4 January, the Terra Nova headed south for Wood Bay in Victoria Land.  The heavy inshore pack ice meant sailing well out from the coastline.  Passing Wood Bay the Terra Nova came in as close as forty miles, but finding no passage through to the coast continued south.  Campbell spent time in the crow's nest looking for clear passage  and studying the land they were to explore. However, from these distances, Campbell would be able to see only the hinterland and not the coastline.  Even when as close as 40 miles, only features higher than  800 feet would have been visible.  They sailed on.

The eighth of January 1912 found the Terra Nova  steaming down the coast and not being able to find a way through to Wood Bay, they continued south.  At this time, I am sure the party  remembered their abortive attempt to land in King Edward VII Land just b12 months earlier in January 1911.

A hundred miles off the tip of the Drygalski Ice Tongue with the ice conditions along the coast no better,  Campbell and Pennell agreed to head further south, first to pick up Debenham’s party at Granite Harbour then to return for  another attempt to land at Wood Bay.  Campbell knew this would reduce sledging time, but would give the possibility of some exploration in the area.  Then, at about two in the afternoon and forty-five miles East South East of the Drygalski Ice Tongue, the pack ice eased making it possible to turn toward the coast and head in to the ice tongue. 

Pennell writes:

'With hopes alternately raised and lowered as the pack eased up or became heavier, the ship at last got on the north side of the Barrier and into clear water ; and during the first watch of the 8th was secured alongside the sea ice at the entrance to what is now called Arrival Bay, about six miles north of Evans' Coves.'  [i]    

It was not until nine in the evening that the Terra Nova was secured alongside the ice one and half miles from the piedmont where they would set up base camp.  The landing of stores and equipment commenced immediately. With the help of the crew, they sledged all their equipment  half a mile across the sea ice, up a snow slope, onto the piedmont ice, and deposited it on a rocky moraine.  This was initially called Depot Moraine Camp but later, after experiencing the area’s katabatic gales, was renamed it Hell’s Gate--the name it is known by today.  All items, other than the gear required for sledging, were placed in a depot at Hell’s Gate.
Page 1 of 4