Leadership 3.0 Symposium
Edtech implications of essea. Foresight law and policy. Opportunity for PD.
Joe Sanfelippo: Author of The Power of Branding: Telling Your School's Story
- Change culture 30 seconds at a time. (Staring contest demo)
- The answer to "What did you do in school? " should be "I don’t know … where to start?"
- Stream twitter feed on big screens around school.
- Celebrate kids and teachers at every opportunity.
- Never give up the opportunity to say something great about your school.
- Social media amplifies and accelerates culture.
- If you don't tell your story, someone else will.
- Creating a Culture of Sharing for Professional Learning
- Steal like a Teacher-- Teachers Sharing Effective Strategies Through Instructional Rounds
- "Scaling pockets of excellence."
- Math train.tv— student-created tutorials
- Have kids do PD.
- Evaluating PD by focusing on student work— Instructional Rounds
- Stopped saying "How do teachers teach?" and focused on student work. Helps focus on Common Core and helped integrate technology organically.
- Ask: "What do we need to do to get our students to the next level?"
- follow up and follow through are most important for PD.
- After consultation with coach— give survey two weeks later- ask for evidence
- Classified staff takes surveys too.
- Focus on two tech tools.
- Used teacher conversations as a measure— about students and instruction.
- Important to see connections between tech, standards, curriculum, and PD.
Sir Ken Robinson
Selected quotes from Sir Ken's Keynote:
- We should change our education model from industrial to organic farming. Organic education promotes the well-being of the whole student, intellectual, physical, social and spiritual"
- "Our system is predicated on conformity. We should celebrate diversity."
- "The question is not... ARE you intelligent, but HOW are you intelligent?"
- "Education is about compliance. Life is about creativity. "
- The job of a teacher is not to become a facilitator for the testing company, it is to cultivate learning."
- "Leadership's role is not Command and Control, it is Climate Control."