POLICY ON FACEBOOK AND SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES
The Superintendent and School Principals will annually remind staff members and orient new staff members concerning the importance of maintaining proper decorum in the on-line, digital world as well as in person. Employees must conduct themselves in ways that do not distract from or disrupt the educational process.
This policy is adopted in addition to, and not as a substitute for the District’s Acceptable Use Policy, which governs the use of the school district’s technological resources. All staff will adhere to the following requirements:
1) Improper fraternization with students using Facebook, My Space,
Twitter, Linked in and all other similar internet sites or social networks, or via cell phone, texting or telephone is prohibited.
2) Teachers will not list current students as “friends” on networking sites.
3) All e-contact with students will be through the District’s computer and telephone system, except in an emergency.
4) All contact and messages by coaches with team members will be sent to all team members, except for messages concerning medical or academic privacy matters, in which case the messages will be copied to the athletic director and principal.
5) Teachers will not give out private cell or home phone numbers without prior approval from the District.
6) Inappropriate contact via phone or email is prohibited.
7) Posting items of inappropriate sexual content or advocating the use of drugs or alcohol is prohibited.
The District will randomly monitor the computers and other technology systems, web pages, etc. and those violating this policy will be subject to penalties, including dismissal from employment, for failure to abide by this policy or exercise good judgment in on-line conduct.
Revised on: April 26, 2012