Duties of the Chairman
The chairman of the School Committee has the same powers as any other member of the Committee to vote upon all measures coming before it, to offer resolutions and to discuss questions. He/she will perform those duties that are consistent with his/her office and those required by law, state regulations, and this Committee. In carrying out these responsibilities, the chairman will:
1. Sign the instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Committee
2. Consult with the Superintendent in the planning of the Committee's agendas
3. Confer with the Superintendent on crucial matters that may occur between Committee meetings
4. Appoint subcommittees.
5. Call special meetings of the Committee as found necessary
6. Be public spokesman for the Committee at all times except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others
7. Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Committee meetings.
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Committee, the chairman will:
1. Call the meeting to order at the appointed time
2. Announce the business to come before the Committee in its proper order
3. Enforce the Committee's policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of meetings
4. Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference
5. Explain what the effect of a motion would be if this is not clear to members
6. Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Committee
7. Answer all parliamentary inquiries
8. Put motions to a vote, stating definitely and clearly the vote and result thereof.
Duties of the Vice-Chairman
The vice-chairman of the Committee will act in the absence of the chairman as presiding officer of the Committee and will perform such other duties as may be delegated or assigned to him/her.
The clerk will comply with state law and Committee policy regarding notification of meetings; and will render such reports as may be required by the state or the town.
The Committee will delegate the actual recording of minutes of meetings and other clerical duties to a secretary appointed annually by the Committee. One copy of all minutes shall be kept on file in the Superintendent of Schools' office.
LEGAL REFS.: M.G.L. 71:36
Tabled until: 1/22/04
(no action taken at the 1/22/04 meeting)
Adopted on: September 27, 2007