Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: None
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb fresh sushi grade tuna, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced,
- 1 small red onion, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 shallot, diced
- several sprigs of cilantro
- salt and pepper
a small pan heat one tablespoon of olive oil. Drop in the shallots and
cook over medium heat until brown and crispy. Using a slotted spoon
remove them from the pan and place on a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fish
sauce, peanut oil, and sugar until sugar dissolves and set aside.
- In another small bowl combine the avocado, red onion, and juice of one lime. Set aside.
- In the final small bowl combine the diced tuna, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place a circular mold or a biscuit cutter (which I used) onto a
small plate (I used a saucer) or wide bowl. Press several spoonfuls of
the avocado/onion mixture into the bottom of the mold and press down.
Then top with the tuna mixture until the mold is full. Carefully remove
the mold so that the tartare keeps its shape. Top with crispy shallots
and a bit of fresh cilantro and then pour the sauce around the
tartare. Serve immediately.