Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 small onion
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- dash of cayenne
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 handfuls of kale
- cheese for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a large baking sheet with parchment
paper. Spread onion, mushrooms, and squash out on the baking sheet in a
single layer and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for
20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- In large pot heat a small amount of olive oil over medium heat and
scrape vegetables into pot. Add garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (bay leaf, cumin, chili powder,
smoked paprika, cayenne, diced tomatoes with juice, broth, and lentils)
except for the kale. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Let
simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are soft and puffy.
- Remove from heat and add two handfuls of kale. Stir well and do a taste test. Salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve with a bit of cheese (if you want) and a nice piece of bread.