Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 lbs. carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 6 whole cloves garlic, peel on and one end sliced off
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 two-inch knob of ginger, grated
- 1 piece of orange peel, about 4 inches long
- several sprigs of mint
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed from the same orange you acquired the peel from)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- crumbled feta (for serving)
- thinly sliced green onions (for serving)
the oven to 425°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the carrots,
onions, and garlic cloves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and
pepper. Spread them out in a single layer and roast, stirring
occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven.
- Add a small dash of olive oil to a large
soup pot and heat over medium heat for about a minute. Stir in the
carrots and onions and peel the garlic out of it's clove and add to the
pot along with the piece of orange zest and the mint sprigs. Turn down the
heat to medium-low.
- Take the grated ginger and squeeze all
the juice out of it and into the pot. Stir well and add the
vegetable stock. Bring the pot to a boil and then turn down the heat to let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are very soft.
- Remove from heat and take out the orange peel and mint sprig.
the soup in batches in a blender, until smooth. You can choose to do
the entire pot for a completely smooth soup or leave some of the
vegetables for a fuller bodied soup. Return the soup pot to the stove
and place over low heat. Stir in orange juice and cumin. Then salt and
pepper to taste.
- Dish the soup into bowls and top with feta cheese and green onions. Serve immediately with a big yummy piece of bread.