Makes: 2 loaves
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 2 hours 40 minutes rise time
Bake Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 4 hours
- 1 teaspoon Spanish saffron threads
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup agave syrup or maple syrup
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4-5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- Soak the saffron threads in 1/2 cup of the water for 30 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 3 1/2 cups of water and the yeast. Let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the syrup, orange zest, saffron, melted butter, and salt into
the yeast until thoroughly combined. Add the wheat flour and mix until
- Stir in the pine nuts and most of the all-purpose flour, reserving 1
cup. The dough will be a little sticky. Flour the countertop with
some of the remaining flour and knead the dough until it is smooth and
elastic, about 5 minutes, adding flour to the surface as needed to make
the dough more manageable. You may not use all the flour, or you may
need a little more. The final dough should feel moist and a little
tacky, but not sticky or wet.
- Place the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Turn over once to
coat and cover with a barely damp tea towel. Let the dough rise in a
warm, draft-free place until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough. Divide into 2 equal portions. Spread or roll each portion into a rectangle and pinch the edges together.
- Place each loaf in an oiled loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm,
draft-frea place until the loaves have doubled in size, about 40
- Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 1 hour, or until the tops are
browned and the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Cool completely on a
rack before slicing.