Makes: 1 9-inch round cake Prep Time: 10 minutes Bake Time: 30-40 minutes Total Time: 40-50 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- grated zest from 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
for the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- few drops fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced, blanched almonds, toasted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan or
spring form pan and place a layer of wax paper in the bottom. Set
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk them lightly to
break up the yolks. Add the sugar and whisk it in for about 1 minute.
Add the olive oil and whisk until the mixture is a bit lighter in color
and has thickened. Whisk in the extracts and zest, followed by the
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk until everything is
combined. Continue whisking for about 30 seconds for a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30-40 minutes.
When the cake is done it will start to pull away from the sides of the
pan and will spring back lightly when touched.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove from the pan and allow it to cool completely on the rack.
- While the cake cools, make the glaze by melting the butter over medium
heat in a small saucepan. After it is completely melted, lower the
heat and watch the butter carefully, stirring occasionally. When the
butter begins to turn a light tan color turn off the heat and let the
butter sit for several minutes.
- While the butter cools, sift the powdered sugar into a medium
bowl. Whisk in milk until completely smooth, then slowly whisk in the
butter. Taste the glaze and add a few drops of lemon juice to balance the
sweetness. Stir in toasted almonds.
- Pour glaze over cake and let it sit until the glaze is set.