Makes: one 8 or 9-inch cake Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 40-50 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
for the icing:
- 1 cup stout or porter beer (I used Guinness!)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease an 8 or 9 inch springform pan and place a layer of parchment in the bottom.
- In a saucepan combine beer and butter and place over medium heat until butter is melted. Whisk in cocoa and both sugars. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- With a mixer combine eggs, sour cream and vanilla until very well mixed and no clumps remain. Add this mixture to the cooled butter/beer mixture.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add this mixture to the chocolate mixture. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour batter into your prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated. Slowly add powdered sugar until you achieve the sweetness and consistency that you like.
- When the cake comes out of the oven allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled, spread frosting evenly over the top of the cake.