Makes: 12-15 muffins Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes (squash) + 20 minutes (muffins) Total Time: 50 minutesIngredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium winter squash (I used butternut), peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. About 2 cups
- 2 handfuls of spinach, washed and chopped
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 3/4 cup goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Toss squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, until they are tender and can easily be poked with a fork.
- Turn the oven down to 400° and grease a muffin tin with butter or oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together 2/3 of the squash, the spinach, parmesan, and 1/2 cup of the goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, and mustard until well combined. Pour egg mixture into the squash mixture. Mix to combine.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently stir until combined. Spoon into greased muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the top of each muffin with black pepper, and top with the remaining feta and squash. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.