Pre-PhD work experience (2001-2004)
Defence Research & Development Organization, Hyderabad
EACoE, JFWTC, Bangalore
Post-PhD work experience
Assistant Professor, Department of Applied Mechanics, IIT Delhi (2012-2016)
Post-doctoral Research Associate, Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University (2010-2012)
Theory and Modeling of Compressible Turbulence, Hypersonic Flows,
Airships, Flow-thermodynamics of steam turbines
GPU-accelerated direct numerical simulations of decaying compressible turbulence employing a GKM-based solver, Nishant Parashar, Balaji Srinivasan, Sawan S. Sinha and Manish Agarwal, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids. doi/10.1002 (PDF)
Influence of compressibility on the Lagrangian statistics of vorticity--strain-rate interactions, Md. Danish, Sawan S. Sinha and Balaji Srinivasan, Physical Review E, 94, 013101, 2016 (PDF)
Influence of flow topology and dilatation on scalar mixing in compressible turbulence, Md. Danish, Sawan Suman and Sharath S. Girimaji, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.793, pp 633-655, 2016 (PDF)
11. Danish, M., Suman, S. and Srinivasan B., A DNS-based investigation and modeling of pressure Hessian effects on compressible velocity gradient dynamics, Physics of Fluids, (PDF).
10. Ibrahim, A., Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., On air-chemistry reduction for hypersonic external flow applications, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2014.10.021, (PDF).
9. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Velocity-gradient dynamics in compressible turbulence: Characterization of pressure-Hessian tensor, Physics of Fluids, Vol.25, Issue 12, 2013 (PDF)
8. Suman, S., Lakshmipathy, S. and Pant, R.S., Evaluation of the assumed-transition-point criterion in context of RANS simulations around Lighter-Than-Air vehicles, Journal of Aircraft, DOI: 10.2514/1.C031880, 2013 (PDF).
7. Bertsch, R. L., Suman, S. and Girimaji, S. S., Rapid distortion analysis of high Mach number homogeneous shear flows: Characterization of flow-thermodynamics interaction regimes, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 24, 125106, doi: 10.1063/1.4772193, 2012 (PDF).
6. Lavin, T. A., Girimaji, S. S., Suman, S. and Yu, H., Flow-thermodynamics interactions in rapidly-sheared compressible turbulence, Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, 26, pp 501-522, 2012 (PDF)
5. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S. S., Velocity-gradient dynamics in compressible turbulence: Influence of Mach number and dilatation rate, Journal of Turbulence, Vol. 13, No. 8, 2012 (PDF)
4. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Dynamical model for velocity-gradient evolution in compressible turbulence, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 683, pp 289-319, 2011. (PDF)
3. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Velocity gradient invariants and local flow-field topology in compressible turbulence, Journal of Turbulence, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 1-24, 2010. (PDF)
2. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., On the invariance of compressible Navier-Stokes and energy equations subject to density-weighted filtering, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, Vol. 85, No. 3-4, pp. 383-396, 2010. (PDF)
1. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Homogenized Euler equation: a model for compressible velocity gradient dynamics, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 620, pp. 177-194, 2009. (PDF)
1. Unified Gas Kinetic Scheme combined with Cartesian Grid Method to Simulate Low Mach Number Flow, International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids, Lokesh Ragta, Balaji Srinivasan, Sawan S. Sinha
21. Influence of Thermal Boundary Conditions on Initiation of Compressor Mode in Steam Turbines, Rishi Mishra, Sawan S. Sinha and Shrish Shukla,6th International and 43 national conference on fluid mechanics and fluid power , December 2016 (Paper Accepted, ID 184)
20. Simulation of Separated Flow Past a Sphere with Partially Averaged Navier Stokes Method, Sagar Saroha, Sawan S. Sinha and Balaji Srinivasan,6th International and 43 national conference on fluid mechanics and fluid power , December 2016 (Paper Accepted, ID 227)
19. Study of wake and rotor down-wash interactions, I.S. Makkar. , R. Vijayakumar, S. N. Singh and Sawan S. Sinha, Warship 2016: Advanced Technologies in Naval Design, Construction, & Operation, 15-16 June 2016, Bath, UK
18. Simulation of flow past an airship, Sagar Saroha, Sawan S. Sinha and Balaji Srinivasan,18th Annual AeSI Symposium, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, August 2016
17. Numerical investigation of flow through steam turbines using the mixing plane method, Shrish Shukla, Rishi Mishra, Nikhil Chaudhary and Sawan Suman, Ref ID 815, International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation (ICCMS), IIT Bomaby, June 2016
16. Analyzing The Viscous Action On The Evolution Of Velocity Gradient In Compressible Turbulence Mohammad Danish, Sawan Suman, and Balaji Srinivasan, Paper no. CP2, 17th Annual CFD Symposium, Aero Society of India, Bangalore, August 11-12, 2015
15. Evaluation of the gas kinetic scheme based on analytical solution to the BGK model for simulating compressible turbulent flows, Paper no. 172, Nishant Parashar, Balaji Srinivasan and Sawan Suman, FMFP, IIT Kanpur, December 2014.
14. Pressure Hessian evolution in compressible turbulence, Paper no. 220, Md. Danish, Sawan Suman, Balaji Srinivasan, FMFP, IIT Kanpur, 2014.
13. Tracking Lagrangian Quantities in DNS of Isotropic Decaying Turbulence Mohammad Danish, Nishant Parashar, Sawan Suman and Balaji Srinivasan, Paper no. CP30, 16th Annual CFD Symposium, Aero Society of India, Bangalore, August 11-12, 2014
12. Danish, M and Suman, S., A mean-eigenvalue-based model for the pressure Hessian tensor, 15th AeSI Symposium on CFD, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, August, 2013.
11. Dev, P.G., Suman, S. and Srinivasan, B., Evaluation of implicit large eddy (ILES) approach in simulating transitioning and separating flows past a sphere, Indian Conference on Applied Mechanics (INCAM), IIT Madras, July 2013.
10. Lakshmipathy, S.; Suman, S., Pant, R. S., Girimaji, S. S., Application of Partially-averaged Navier-Stokes (PANS) method to simulate turbulent flow around an airship, IUTAM Symposium on Bluff Body Flows, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India. Dec 2011. (Abstract)
9. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S. S., Toward topology-based characterization of small-scale mixing in compressible turbulence, American Physical Society (APS), Division of Fluid Dynamics, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Nov 2011. (Abstract)
8. Girimaji, S. S. and Suman, S., Partially-averaged Navier-Stokes equation for turbulence simulations: Theory and practice, 4th Symposium on hybrid RANS-LES simulations, September 28-30, Beijing, China, 2011 (Paper)
7. Suman, S., Lakshmipathy, S. and Pant, R.S., Evaluation of the assumed-transition-point criterion in context of RANS simulations around lighter-than-air vehicles, AIAA 2011-6872 , 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Conference, Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA. Sept 2011 (paper).
6. Suman, S., Ibrahim, A. and Girimaji, S. S., On the use of reduced chemical kinetics for hypersonic transition and breakdown to turbulence computations, AIAA-2011-3715, 41st AIAA Fluid Dynamic Conference and Exhibit, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. Jun 2011. (Paper)
5. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Effects of Mach number and compressibility on vorticity and strain-rate turbulence dynamics, American Physical Society (APS), Division of Fluid Dynamics, Long Beach, California, USA. Nov 2010 (Abstract)
4. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Averaging-invariance of compressible Navier-Stokes equation, American Physical Society (APS), Division of Fluid Dynamics, San-Antonio, Texas, USA. Nov 2008. (Abstract)
3. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Velocity gradient dynamics in compressible and incompressible flows using homogenized Euler equation, American Physical Society (APS), Division of Fluid Dynamics, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. Nov 2007. (Abstract)
2. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Non-linear dynamics and small-scale topology of compressible turbulence, Society of Engineering Science (SES), College Station, Texas, USA. Oct 2007. (Abstract)
1. Suman, S. and Girimaji, S.S., Rapid distortion analysis of compressible turbulence in ideal gas: part 2- density averaged moments, American Physical Society (APS), Division of Fluid Dynamics, Tampa, Florida, USA. Nov 2006. (Abstract)
Sagar Saroha. Topic: PANS modeling for separated flows (Co-advised by BS and Dr. Sunil Lakshmipathy)
Vikas Dwivedi (Co-advised by BS, Implicit large eddy simulation and transition from laminar to turbulence)
Lakhwinder Singh (Self-entraining diffusers, Co-advised by Prof. S. N. Singh (SNS))
Lt. Cmdr. Ishaq Makkar (Helo deck wake behavior, Co-advised by SNS)
Shrish Shukla (Helo deck wake behavior, Co-advised by SNS)
Md. Danish (Co-advised by BS. Currently a post-doc associate at Johns Hopkins University)
Rishi Mishra ( May 2016, Study of the behavior of steam turbines at low-load condition)
Ramanujam Tiwari, (May 2016, Co-advised by BS) Design and CFD analysis of an airship
Vivek Sharma, (May 2016, Co-advised by BS) A potnetial flow and boundary layer based software package for airships
Rajkumar Rana (May 2015, Co-advised by Prof. P.K.Sen, Development of computational tool to analyse the performance of a Multi-Effect Distillation System)
Manu C. (May 2014, Co-advised by BS) Analysis of ILES capabilities in capturing turbulent flows (Graduated in May 2014)Topic: Implicit Large Eddy Simulation
Nishant Parashar (May 2014, Co-advised by BS) Topic: Gas Kinetic Method
Pendyala Gautam Dev. (May 2013, Co-advised by BS), Evaluation of implicit large eddy (ILES) approach in simulating transitioning and separating flows past a three-dimensional bluff body
Award for Excellence in Teaching, IIT Delhi, 2015.
Award for Excellence in Teaching, IIT Delhi, 2014.
Best B.Tech Project in Aerospace Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 2001.
1. Estimation of axial thrust in steam turbines, BHEL
2. DNS, analysis and modeling of compressibility effects on turbulence in hypersonic flows, Aeronautical Research and Development Board
3. Study of wake behavior over helo decks, Naval Research Board
4. Prediction of flow behavior in steam turbines at low-load/no-load conditions, BHEL
Office Location: Room 344, Block IV.
Office Phone 2659-1245 (within campus: 1245)