Shoemaker History
Our Road's Roots Are Deep In Loudoun History

Home

Did you know that Shoemaker School Road hosts one of the oldest homes in Loudoun County and what's rumored to be a house with the oldest chimney in the county? Better yet, it got its name when an 1800s white family built a school on the old Shoemaker Farm near the  Telegraph Springs Road intersection for the children of former slaves. Here's that story of the area once called Greggsville:

Greggsville - A failing white settlement in the mid-nineteenth
century, the area revived in the 1870s when whites arranged to build a
schoolhouse on the Shoemaker farm for the children of former slaves.
The nearest black school was in Lincoln, four or five miles away.
African Americans were holding Sunday School and church in the
building by 1890. The school closed in 1929, but Bethany Baptist
Church continued, buying the building and one acre of ground in 1952.
The structure burned in 1973; all that remains of Greggsville
(pronounced Griggsville) is a glen with grassy knoll and a water pump
near the edge of the woods. One resident recalls hearing the
congregation singing loudly in the old church, and after services they
would set up tables and the women would cook large communal meals.
"They had big times down here," he recalled.

Source: http://www.balchfriends.org/bhmap.htm