Working to preserve, protect and restore the Saugahatchee Watershed
WHAT IS S.O.S.?
S.O.S. is a non-profit corporation, formed in April 1997 in response to citizen concerns over point and nonpoint pollution of Saugahatchee Creek. We work closely with a wide range of governmental, non-profit and private sector entities. S.O.S. is affiliated with Alabama Water Watch (AWW), a statewide organization working to improve water quality throughout the state.
WHAT IS OUR PURPOSE?
The purpose of S.O.S. is:
“To preserve, protect and restore the Saugahatchee Watershed so that it can be enjoyed by everyone for recreation, environmental education, and ecological uses.”
WHO ARE OUR MEMBERS?
S.O.S. members are citizens from communities throughout the Saugahatchee Watershed, including Opelika, Auburn, Loachapoka, Notasulga, Reeltown and Tallassee.
ADEM Guide for Citizen Participation
•Created an organization of over 100 interested citizens in the various communities on the Saugahatchee Watershed
•Trained over 30 S.O.S. members in water quality monitoring. Qualified personnel monitor strategic points on Saugahatchee Creek and its tributaries.
• Increased level of community awareness of the Saugahatchee Creek Watershed as a biological and ecological resource.
• Worked with EPA and ADEM to upgrade Saugahatchee Creek from the lowest use classification, Agricultural and Industrial, to a higher level, Fish and Wildlife.
• Worked with Cities of Opelika and Auburn to improve sedimentation ordinances and regulations.
Worked with Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) to reduce nonpoint source pollution,especially from erosion and sedimentation, in Lee County streams.
• Currently working with several key stakeholder groups to implement a Saugahatchee Watershed Management Plan.
• Several S.O.S. members serve on the ALOA (Auburn, Lee County, Opelika, Auburn University) Citizen Advisory Committee. ALOA developed a Phase II Stormwater policy which was adopted by each member entity.
Save Our Saugahatchee, Inc.
I want to join S.O.S. and support its work to maintain, protect, and improve the Saugahatchee Watershed.
___ $10 individual ___ $15 family
___ $25 business ___ $___ other
Membership is for Jan. 1-Dec. 31. After June 30, initial membership is one half of the annual fee shown above.
Your membership is valuable. We appreciate your financial support and hope you can also be an active participant in S.O.S.
Membership payable to:
Save Our Saugahatchee
P.O. Box 1387
Auburn, AL 36831-1387