CPU Research Scientist Intel Labs
Saurabh Gupta is a CPU research scientist in the Mircoarchitecture Research Lab (MRL) within Intel Labs. His general research interest lies in the area of high performance computer architecture and he has explored novel cache architectures and memory hierarchy optimization in past.
Prior to Intel, he pursued his post-doctoral research at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) within Computer Science Research Group and Technology Integration Group at Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility(OLCF). His work at ORNL focused on reliability, scheduling, and energy-efficiency for large data centers and HPC facilities.
He obtained his Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from North Carolina State University working with Dr. Huiyang Zhou on Locality Aware Memory Hierarchy Optimizations. He completed his Bachelors and Masters in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur in 2009. Besides research, he is interested in teaching the fundamentals of computer systems.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org [CV]
- Saurabh Gupta, Tirthak Patel, Christian Engelmann, and Devesh Tiwari, "Failures in Large Scale Systems: Long-term Measurement, Analysis, and Implications." In Proceedings of the 30th IEEE/ACM International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC) 2017, pages 44:1-44:12, Denver, CO, USA, November 12-17, 2017. ACM Press, New York, NY, USA. [pdf to appear]
- Bin Nie, Ji Xue, Saurabh Gupta, Christian Engelmann, Evgenia Smirni, and Devesh Tiwari. " Characterizing Temperature, Power, and Soft-Error Behaviors in Data Center Systems: Insights, Challenges, and Opportunities." In Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Symposium on the Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS) 2017, pages 22-31, Banff, AB, Canada, September 20-22, 2017. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, USA. [pdf to appear]
- Christopher Zimmer, Saurabh Gupta, Scott Atchley, Sudharshan S. Vazhkudai, and Carl Albing, "A Multi-faceted Approach to Job Placement for Improved Performance on Extreme-Scale Systems,'' In Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC16), Salt Lake City, UT, November 2016. [pdf]
- Jaimie Kelley, Christopher Stewart, Devesh Tiwari and Saurabh Gupta, "Adaptive Workload Profiling for Power Efficient HPC", To appear in the 13th IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 2016), July, 2016. [pdf]
- Kun Tang, Devesh Tiwari, Saurabh Gupta, Ping Huang, Qi Lu, Christian Engelmann and Xubin He, "Power-capping Aware Checkpointing: On the Interplay among Power-capping, Temperature, Reliability, Performance, and Energy", To appear in the 46th IEEE Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2016), June, 2016. [pdf]
- Hongwen Dai, Saurabh Gupta, Chao Li, Christos Kartsaklis, Mike Mantor and Huiyang Zhou, "A Model-Driven Approach to Warp/Thread-Block Level GPU Cache Bypassing", In Proceedings of the Design Automation Conference (DAC 2016), Austin, TX, June, 2016. [pdf]
- Leonardo Bautista-Gomez, Ana Gainaru, Swann Perarnau, Devesh Tiwari, Saurabh Gupta, Franck Cappello, Christian Engelmann, and Marc Snir. "Reducing Waste in Large Scale Systems Through Introspective Analysis", In Proceedings of the IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2016), Chicago, IL, USA, May, 2016. [pdf]
- Bin Nie, Devesh Tiwari, Saurabh Gupta, Evgenia Smirni, and James H. Rogers, "A Large-Scale Study of Soft-Errors on GPUs in the Field", In Proceedings of the 22nd IEEE Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA 2016), Barcelona, Spain, March, 2016. [pdf]
- Devesh Tiwari, Saurabh Gupta, George Gallarno, Jim Rogers and Don Maxwell, "Reliability Lessons Learned from GPU Experience with the Titan Supercomputer at Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility", In Proceedings of Supercomputing 2015 (SC15), Austin, TX, November, 2015. [pdf]
- Jonathan Freed, "An Analysis of Network Congestion in the Titan Supercomputer's Interconnect", ACM Student Research Competition Poster in Supercomputing 2015 (SC15), November, 2015. -- Finalist. Advisors: Saurabh Gupta and Devesh Tiwari. [pdf]
- Saurabh Gupta, and Huiyang Zhou, “Spatial Locality-Aware Cache Partitioning for Effective Cache Sharing”, In Proceedings of the 44th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP 2015), Beijing, China, September, 2015. [pdf]
- Saurabh Gupta, Devesh Tiwari, Christopher J. Jantzi, James H. Rogers, and Don Maxwell, "Understanding and Exploiting Spatial Properties of System Failures on Extreme-Scale HPC Systems", In Proceedings of the 45th IEEE Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2015), June, 2015. [pdf]
- Devesh Tiwari, Saurabh Gupta, Jim Rogers, Don Maxwell, "Experience with GPUs on the Titan Supercomputer from a Reliability, Performance and Power Perspective", In the 37th Cray User Group (CUG 2015), April, 2015. [pdf]
- Devesh Tiwari, Saurabh Gupta, Jim Rogers, Don Maxwell, Paolo Rech, Sudharshan Vazhkudai, Daniel Oliveira, Dave Londo, Nathan Debardeleben, Philippe Navaux, Luigi Carro, and Arthur Buddy Bland, "Understanding GPU Errors on Large-scale HPC Systems and the Implications for System Design and Operation", In Proceedings of 21st IEEE Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA 2015), February 2015. [pdf]
- Feiyi Wang, Sarp Oral, Saurabh Gupta, Devesh Tiwari, and Sudharshan Vazhkudai, "Improving Large-scale Storage System Performance via Topology-aware and Balanced Data Placement", In Proceedings of 20th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS 2014), December, 2014. [pdf]
- Sarp Oral, James Simmons, Jason Hill, Dustin Leverman, Feiyi Wang, Matt Ezell, Ross Miller, Douglas Fuller, Raghul Gunasekaran, Youngjae Kim, Saurabh Gupta, Devesh Tiwari, Sudharshan S. Vazhkudai, James H. Rogers, David Dillow, and Arthur S. Bland, "Best Practices and Lessons Learned from Deploying and Operating Large-Scale Data-Centric Parallel File Systems", In Proceedings of Supercomputing 2014 (SC14), Best Practices in File Systems, November 2014. -- (Best Paper Finalist) [pdf]
- Devesh Tiwari, Saurabh Gupta, and Sudharshan S. Vazhkudai, "Lazy Checkpointing: Understanding and Mitigating Checkpointing Overheads on Extreme-Scale Machines", In proceedings of IEEE Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2014), June, 2014. -- (Nominated among 3 Best Paper Finalists) [pdf]
- Saurabh Gupta, Ping Xiang, Yi Yang, and Huiyang Zhou, "Locality Principle Revisited: A Probability-Based Quantitative Approach", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Special issue on the Best Papers: International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) 2010, 2011 and 2012, July 2013. [pdf]
- Saurabh Gupta, Ping Xiang, Huiyang Zhou, "Analyzing Locality of Memory References in Many-core Architectures", Position paper in ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Memory Systems Performance and Correctness (MSPC 2013), co-located with PLDI 2013. [pdf]
- Saurabh Gupta, Hongliang Gao, and Huiyang Zhou, “Adaptive Cache Bypassing for Inclusive Last Level Caches”, In Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2013), May, 2013. [pdf]
- Saurabh Gupta, Ping Xiang, Yi Yang, and Huiyang Zhou, “Locality Principle Revisited: A Probability-based Quantitative Approach”, In Proceedings of the 26th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2012), May, 2012. -- (Best Paper Award winner in the Architecture Track) [pdf]
- Locality computation source (CPU version) is available here.
- Devesh Tiwari, Sarp Oral, Feiyi Wang, Saurabh Gupta and Josh Judd, "SSD Provisioning for Exascale Storage System: When, Where and How much?", Luster User Group (LUG) 2014.
- Presentation and poster at 2nd Annual Post-doc Symposium at Oak Ridge National Laboratory:
- Lazy Checkpointing to Mitigate I/O Overheads of Checkpointing on Extreme-scale Systems, Presentation/Talk
- Scalable Approach to Resource Utilization using Functional Partitioning, Poster Presentation
- Karan Sapra, Saurabh Gupta, Ross Miller, Valentine Anantharaj, Scott Atchley, Sudharshan S. Vazhkudai, Devesh Tiwari, Melissa C. Smith. "End-to-End Computing using Functional Partitioning: A Community Earth System Model (CESM) Case Study", Poster at Smoky Mountain Conference, Gatlinburg, TN, Sept 2014. [poster]