Before going through this lesson make sure you are familiar with Blender Training : Session 5
- Organic modeling (FlowerPot with deformable leaves)
- Modeling using various layers
- Spinning a edge profile to create an object
- Creating a leaf from scratch.
- Deforming the leaf using a Curve
- Creating groups of objects for easier instancing
- Enable 3D View : 3D Navigation Add-on and save preferences
- Scaling buttons in the interface (CTRL+MMB)
- Lets model the Flowerpot
- Creating a profile and aligning it properly
- Spinning the profile in top view (Spin operator)
- Removing doubles (W key to invoke Specials menu)
- Add the Subsurf modifier (By typing the Add Modifier operator in Search Menu)
- Sculpt the flowerpot for customizing the shape further
- Create leaf object in new layer
- Remove all the vertices and start adding vertices in the shape of a petal/leaf
- Duplicate one side vertices and mirror (Interactive Mirror Operator)
- Introduce vertex snapping/constraining
- Subdividing edges or adding vertices in the middle of two vertices
- Filling in the faces
- Flipping the normals (Specials menu (W) and click Flip Normals)
- Add a solidify modifier and then apply it
- Add loops so that the leaf has some indentation along the central axis.
- Back to object mode and try out the Shade Smooth and Shade Flat operators.
- Create a Curve Path object and resize it to fit the leaf.
- Add a Curve Deform Modifier to the Leaf
- Now edit the Curve path and see the leaf deform
- ALT + S to scale the control vertex
- CTRL + T to tilt the direction of the control vertex
- Creating Groups
- Select the curve path and leaf and CTRL + G (Create New Group operator)
- Name the group in the Object properties panels
- Goto the layer of the FlowerPot and Add -> Group -> your group name
- Reposition it and change the empty display type
- Select the Flowerpot and the leaf group instance and create another group
- Goto layer 1 and add a ground plane and scale it.
- Add the FlowerPot group instance.
- Duplicate the newly added instance and reposition it, scale it down.
- Editing the actual leaf objects
- Split the view port into two 3D views.
- Break the connection between the two viewports by clicking the icon to the right of the layers buttons
- In the left view port enable layer 1 and in the right view port enable the layer with the leaves
- Edit the leaf curve paths and see the instances update in real time!
satishgoda at gmail dot com