SASD Technology Services recently implemented a new system which allows district-owned mac users more self-management of the computer. The system is called Self Service – look for this icon in your dock
(if it's not there click Go > Applications and drag the Self Service icon to the dock)To start:
- Click on the Self Service icon
- Enter your own username and password (same as you do for logging in to a computer or your email)
- Choose from the menu on the right side of the window (you may need to scroll over to see them)
There are several things you can do
with Self Service – no administrative password needed!
- Install & uninstall printers
- Install & update approved software
- Gather diagnostic information to provide for further troubleshooting
- Click Printers in the right side panel.
- Click the icon labeled Remove all printers.
- Click the Remove button in the window that appears.
- When the “In Progress” message in the left panel disappears, the uninstall process is complete – click the tiny x in the upper-right of the Remove all printers window to close it.
- Scroll through the list of available printers and click Install for the one(s) that you regularly use, including WebCRD if needed. Do not install printers you do not need.
- It will not take long for a printer to be installed. While it is processing, “In Progress” will appear in the left panel. When it disappears, the install is complete.
- It is extremely important that you wait until a printer is completely finished installing before starting another installation.
- If you install more than one printer, it will ask you on each subsequent installation if you want the printer to be your default printer. Please choose the one you use the most to be your default printer.
- When you’ve finished installing the printer(s) you need, close the Self Service application with the red circle in the upper-left.
- When you get messages about updates for Adobe Reader, iTunes, Silverlight – this is the place to go! Don't use the links in the warning messages. Just click Not Now, or Later when they pop-up and then come to Self Service to install them. Check back every so often to see what's new and available to install.
- Click Installs in the right side panel.
- Click the icon for the software you want to update or install.
- In some cases, you will be prompted with a message that it will uninstall the old version(s) first. This is necessary before installing the new version.
- While the software is being installed/updated there will be an "In Progress" message in the left panel. When it disappears, the process is complete.
- When you’ve finished installing the software you need, close the Self Service application with the red circle in the upper-left.
These are tools that you can use when working with your building technologist or PC Support to help provide them with diagnostic information.