"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it, even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Gandhi
Currently, I am a Research Scientist at Intel's Intelligent Systems Lab under the guidance of Vladlen Koltun. I received my Doctorate from department of ECE at University of Maryland, College Park in 2018. My thesis titled "Optimization Algorithms Using Priors in Computer Vision" was co-advised by Prof. Tom Goldstein and Prof. Larry S. Davis. It won ECE's Distinguished Dissertation Award for the year 2018. I have reviewed papers for top tier conferences & journals - PAMI, CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, NeurIPS, ICLR, AAAI & ACCV.
During the course of my PhD at UMD, I was fortunate to intern at Xerox Labs and Intel Labs. Earlier, I worked as a Systems Design, Staff-I Engineer at Broadcom Corporation, Bangalore, India, in Mobile and Wireless group and a Design Engineer at Beceem Communications Pvt. Ltd in PHY-SW group. I obtained my Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT Bombay, India. During my masters, I was advised by Prof. Vikram Gadre at TI-DSP Research Lab. I graduated with bachelor's degree in Electrical and Communication Engineering from MIT, Anna University.
My research interest lies at the intersection of theoretical Machine Learning and practical Computer Vision. The problems involving Numerical Optimization, Deep Learning for Computer Vision and Probabilistic Graphical Models interest me. In the past I have also researched on topics in Error Correcting Codes, Wireless and Green Energy Communication.
- Joined Intel Labs as Research Scientist.
- Attending ICLR'18 at Vancouver, BC.
- Defended PhD Dissertation successfully. My dissertation presentation slides can be downloaded from here.
- Selected as winner of University of Maryland ECE Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship Award (2018). (given to outstanding PhD students in the ECE department)
- One paper accepted at ICLR 2018.
- The code for Robust Continuous Clustering is now online.
- My work on Clustering with Vladlen Koltun from Intel Labs is accepted for publication in PNAS 2017.
- Starting April 2017 - Advanced to candidacy.
- Xerox awarded Travel grant of $2000 for ECCV 2016.
- US Patent Application 15225936 filed for "Method and System for Multimedia Processing to identify Concepts in Multimedia."
- Two papers accepted at ECCV 2016.
- One paper accepted at CVPR 2016.
- Summer and Fall 2016 - Interned at Intel Visual Computing Labs at Santa Clara.
- Summer 2015 - Interned at Xerox Research Center India, Bangalore.
RESEARCH / PUBLICATIONS
- Sohil Shah, Pallabi Ghosh, Larry Davis and Tom Goldstein, "Stacked U-Nets: A No-frills Approach to Natural Image Segmentation", 2018.
- Arthita Ghosh, Max Ehrlich, Sohil Shah, Larry Davis and Rama Chellappa, "Stacked U-Nets for Ground Material Segmentation in Remote Sensing Imagery", In CVPR DeepGlobe Workshop, 2018.
Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs)
- Sohil Shah*, Abhay Yadav*, Zheng Xu, David Jacobs, and Tom Goldstein, "Stabilizing Adversarial Nets with Prediction Methods", In ICLR 2018.
- Ryen Krusinga, Sohil Shah, Matthias Zwicker, Tom Goldstein and David Jacobs, "Understanding the (un)interpretability of natural image distributions using generative models", 2019.
- Sohil Shah, Kuldeep Kulkarni, Arijit Biswas, Ankit Gandhi, Om Deshmukh and Larry Davis, "Weakly Supervised Learning of Heterogeneous Concepts in Videos", In ECCV 2016.
- Ankit Gandhi, Arijit Biswas, Om Deshmukh, Sohil Shah, Kuldeep Kulkarni, "Method and system for multimedia processing to identify concepts in multimedia", US Patent App. 15/225,936
- Sohil Shah*, Abhay Yadav*, David Jacobs, Carlos Castillo, Christoph Studer and Tom Goldstein,"Biconvex Relaxation for Semidefinite Programming in Computer Vision", In ECCV 2016.
- Shah S.A., Venkatesan P., Sundar D., Kannan M., “Low latency, High throughput and Less complex VLSI architecture for 2D-DFT”, In Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communication and Networking, Jan 4-6, 2008, pp. 349-353.
- Sohil Atul Shah and M. Ganesh Madhan, “Distortion Analysis of VCSEL for Radio over Fiber (ROF) Transmission”, In Proceeding of 33rd OSI Symposium on Optics and Optoelectronics, Dec 2007.
- Master Thesis, Applications of Filterbanks and Wavelets in Error Control Codes, June 2010.
- Undergrad Research, Design and Analysis of OFDM based Radio over Multimode Fibre system for Wireless LAN, May 2008.
- Throughput Optimal Control of Energy Harvesting Networks, July 2013.