Preparation: 20 ~ 30 minutes
Soaking time: 2 ~ 4 hours
Cooking time: 25 ~ 35 minutes
1 lb / 500 grams beans
Salt to taste
For Paruppu Usili:
3/4 cup toor dhal
1/2 cup channa dhal
5 ~ 6 red chillies
1 inch ginger
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup shredded coconut or whole coconut cut it into pieces
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 red chili, broken into pieces or to taste
2 string curry leaves
Minced cilantro (optional)
1. Wash and soak both the dhal for 2 ~ 4 hours, depends on your time availability.
2. Wash and remove the string from beans and chop them in to pieces. Set aside.
3. Grind all the grinding ingredients listed above in to fine paste, not too smooth.
4. Steam the ground dhal in a greased idly plate or bowl for 15 ~ 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Once it comes to room temperature, scramble it with your fingers or using fork.
5. Heat a pan with 2 tbsp. oil and add mustard to crackle. Then add chilies, curry leaves. Sauté for few seconds.
6. Throw in chopped beans and sauté for 5 minutes. Pour in 1/2 cup of water and salt. cook it with out covering the pan in medium heat. Stir in between.
7. When beans become soft, throw in scrambled dhal mixture to the beans and mix to corporate the mixture to beans. Adjust salt to taste. Serve hot with rice.