Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 ~ 4
3 ~ 4 medium size tomatoes, chopped
1 or 2 big lemons to taste ( I used 1 lemon)
1 green chili
1/4 turmeric powder
1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida
Cilantro as needed
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 red chilies, broken in to two
2 crushed garlic
1 string curry leaves
1. Boil chopped tomatoes,green chilli, turmeric powder, hing and salt with 3 cups of water in medium heat.
2. When tomatoes become soft and water reduce to half. Gently mash the tomatoes with spatula.
3. Grind the grinding ingredients in to coarse powder and add it to tomato mixture along with 1 cup of water or more as needed. Bring the mixture to boil. Once the rasam starts to boil, turn of the heat.
4. Heat oil or ghee in a skillet, throw in mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Then add remaining ingredients one by one and fry for few seconds.
5. Add the seasonings to the rassam. Add cilantro. Adjust salt to taste. Squeeze lemon juice from fresh lemon and add it to rasam. Once lemon juice is added, don't reheat the rasam. Serve hot with rice.