Weekends are always a good break to charge up our batteries for life, and the meals also plays a crucial role in it, somehow we indulge in some spicy, tangy and rich food. Bengali food is best known for its rich, spicy flavors and alluring aroma. Recipes from Bengal bear an absolutely melt-in-your-mouth experience. You are certain to have a great time experimenting with these scrumptious Bengali food recipes. Your family will definitely enjoy the new flavors of these recipes bring to the dinner table.
2 cups Chapatti Flour
· Drain the steamed spinach and cool it to room temperature.
· Now mix all ingredients- flour, spinach, salt, chili powder, cumin seeds and 1 tbsp. oil .
· Add enough water to make dough of rolling consistency.
· Cover it and keep aside for 30 minutes.
· Then make small balls and roll them like parathas.
· Put the palak paratha on the tawa (Griddle) and make like you make any paratha.
· Serve palak paratha hot with home-made butter, curd or chutney of your choice.
Whole Wheat flour (atta) as per consumption
· Make dough out of whole-wheat flour, 1tbsp oil and salt as you would do for any paratha/roti.
· Make dough 30 minutes before and cover it with moist muslin cloth.
· Take a Ping-Pong ball size lump of dough. Now roll it slightly using dry flour.
· Now nicely spread little oil over it and fold it in a semi circle shape.
· Spread little oil again and fold it along the length and roll it in a triangle shape.
· Cook on a pre-heated Tawa (griddle). Turn it.
· Pierce the egg from the top. Now slowly open the layer of paratha and pour the egg on it.
· Spread butter/oil on this side and let it get golden.
· Similarly cook on the other side till golden brown.
Keema or Minced meat – 1kg
For Marinating minced meat
Turmeric powder- 2-3 tsp
Red pepper powder-3-4 tsp
Coriander powder- 2tsp
Salt -2 tsp
2 tbs of mustard oil
For the Masala Paste
2 medium size onion
2 inch fresh ginger
10 -12 cloves of garlic
Grind the above in Mixer
tempering and flavoring
onion-3-4 chopped finely.
Sugar -1 tsp
Cinnamon- 2-3 inch stick, broken into pieces
2-3 bay leaves
2 -3 tbs of mustard oil
1 tomato chopped finely
A sumptuous but not too sweet vermicelli treat.
· 1 stick butter
· 2 handfuls very fine vermicelli
· 4 cups milk
· 1 pint whipping cream
· 1 handful raisins
· 3 tbsp sugar
· 4 almonds peeled and thinly sliced.
Melt the butter in a pot at a low heat. Break up the vermicelli and stir into the butter. When it turns gold-brown add the milk and stir increasing the heat until it boils. Add the sugar, raisins and almonds. Cook for 10 minutes at a low heat. Pour in the cream and cook for a few more minutes. Remove and allow cooling. Chill vermicelli in the refrigerator. Serve cold.