80th Annual Sanibel Shell Festival
March 2, 3, & 5, 2017
Sanibel Community House
2173 Periwinkle Way
Hours: 9:00-5:00 Thursday & Friday
Free Admission to the Festival Grounds
$5 Donation Includes Admission to the Exhibit Halls plus
One Free Admission to The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum
(an $11 value)
Watch this short video to see what it is all about
about the Sanibel Shell Festival:
- Shell collecting is the second most popular
collecting hobby in the world. Only stamp collectors outnumber shell collectors.
- This well-known event draws shell enthusiasts
from across the United States, Canada, the Caribbean and other countries.
- The Sanibel Shell Show is an integral part of
the Shell Festival. This judged competition is the longest running and most
prestigious shell show in North America. The competition between shell
collectors and shell artists is open to everyone from the United States and around the world.
- Throughout the year, volunteers meet at the
Sanibel Community House to create elaborate floral
bouquets and other shell art items that are offered for sale at the festival.
- Shells can be bought at the "Shell Tent" for as little as 25 cents.
What is there to do at
the Sanibel Shell Festival?
- Be amazed at the floral arrangements, sailor’s
valentines and other magnificent works of art entered in the Shell Show.
- Observe live seashells (mollusks) and learn
about them at the Live Tank.
- Enjoy free shell crafting demonstrations.
- See extensive collections of shells from around
the world that are entered in the Shell Show.
- Meet the artists who use shells and other sea
life as their medium.
- Watch videos about mollusks. Learn how they
create their shells, eat, move, protect themselves and how they reproduce.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to purchase
shells and intricate shell art. Shell prices start at 25 cents.
- Make a simple shell flower or shell animal to
take home with you.
- Buy a $5 or (3) for $10 raffle tickets for a
chance to win great prizes.
- Have lunch or enjoy a snack at the food vendors.
- Buy a Sanibel Shell Festival T-shirt. There are five to choose from. Click on the subpage below to see the shirts.
Who benefits from funds raised at the Shell Festival?
The Annual Shell Festival is the major fund
raising event of the year for both the Sanibel Community Association and the
Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club.
All the funds raised by the Sanibel-Captiva
Shell Club are given in the form of grants to several local marine education
and conservation organizations and for scholarship funds to the University of South
Florida and Florida Gulf Coast University Departments of Marine &
The funds raised by the sale of shells and shell
art outdoors on the Festival grounds support the Sanibel Community House.
Call: (239) 472-2155