Scotia Plaza has two main components:
The historic Bank of Nova Scotia head office building at 44 King Street West, which was designed by architects Mathers and Haldenby (with Beck and Eadie), and built from 1946 to 1951. This 115 m (377 ft) tall, 27 storey building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act by the City of Toronto in 1975. It was completely renovated with major, historically sensitive architectural design changes including a 14 story high glass atrium connecting the original building to the new, 68 storey structure.
Essential to this construction project was maintaining the Bank of Nova Scotia's head office and Toronto Main banking Branch functions with minimal disruption throughout the eight year construction work. The Bank's project and construction managers were Goldie-Burgess Ltd., followed by W. Tamm Consulting Limited.
Scotia Plaza is connected to the PATH network, and contains 190,000 m² (2.045143×106 sq ft) of office space and 40 retail stores. The complex continues to serve as the head office of Scotiabank.
The construction scenes in Three Men and a Baby were filmed during building construction.