Nectar of Proximity
In the end of this work, the below is the compilation of original text of the writings of Rev. Laalaaji Maharaaj, translated in to English. The root cause of the English translation, is to make the material intelligible for avoiding the language problem, in addition, a famous couplet of a renowned Sufi Saint and the Poet, Maulaanaa Rumi has much concerned here;
“Khushtar ab baashad ki sheereen dilbaraan,
Ghufta aayad dar Hadeesee deegharaan”
(The secret of the beloved does better relished,
When explained in the language of others
The zest and relish of a doctrine
Is better realized, when it is presented in a foreign grab.)
“The culmination of human life is,
To annihilate in the entity of God;
In addition, reaching there upon to establish eternity,
Is the real goal and ideal, as well”.
To me this is better-
1. Engage yourself in practice of listening to every heartbeat, super imposing there with the nomenclature of the Lord (AJAPA JAP).
2. Keep your heart pure, away from the corrupting influence of undesirable things and undesirable company.
3. Always keep attuned to the Lord; your attention should never for a moment deviating there from.
4. Concentrate your attention on the heart and keep your heart centered in the Lord.
5. Endeavor to attain kin-ship and attachment to the Eternal truth, the Lord of Universe.
6. Gradually erase the identity of self, try to merge in, and attain oneness with God.
7. Sacrifice life in the grand endeavor.
This alone is the easiest and most certain short cut to attain eternal bliss.
Code of conduct for the ‘Exercitants’-
The following are the canonical-rules for the genuine associates of this denomination, and not for the half-hearted visitors.
(1)These co disciples should have absolute faith in God only. This is alike a person, who is in search of something even after demanding everywhere, nobody gives him and then eventually, he sits aside being hopeless. In the same manner, he/she remain hopeless from every brother/sister, relative, kinsperson, friend, officer, under-staff and even the kings etc. If somebody provides him help, seem it sent from God and assume that God had poured in the heart of the person through whom that help he had received. Therefore, he/she should thank God and should be grateful to that person, by heart in addition, tong both, because he obeyed the order of God.
(2) Always venerate every elders, love for younger ones, as for as possible, try to fulfill their needs and ignore their faults. Have affection and feeling of alliance with those who are in same group of your age. Be always defensive and avoid them, who remain in your opposition without any reason, with you. Try to maintain distance, just as a householder fears from the debtor or a miser from the place of spending his money. However, if they want your help do it and leave away. Do not ever try to take revenge or have hatred with them.
(3) Conceal everybody’s deficiencies and if secret rives of some one is within your knowledge, do not disclose it without his permission. (4) Acknowledge your fault immediately; you should not resist and obstinacy. Keep away from the view of criticaster. Try to see your own faults. In case your eye happens to pass through somebody else’s fault, you should take a lesson from it.
(5) You should not talk ill of anybody about his faults, it is possible the same shortcoming, you too may adopt at any time. You should not give blame anybody without investigation. Even if a nearest relative or your own son is dip rave, you should not give support, out of way, otherwise, he/she will get encouragement and the help to do it again. If he/she does not obey, even after making understand, then you should leave and be aloof.
(6) Bad character, bad conduct and false promises also become the cause of insult.
(7) To take loan is most evil deed but when badly in need have it can be taken. The occasion of need, decide it by means of analysis. The loan taken for the sake of false show, the repayment becomes difficult. The same taken at the time of calamity and for food or daughter’s marriage or during famine-stricken and the intention is genuine, in that case, god help him and later or sooner it clears away. Remain available to the moneylender and never avoid him. (8) Take only that work from the servant, which you yourself are unable to do. The servant is for the help, not for luxury.
(9) Pay at once the cost of labor, fabricated pretext (to delay the payment) is countable to bad conduct.
(10) Do impart the religious-education to your children.
(11) Try anyhow to make your wife to the identical faith.
(12) Wherever, there is festivity of dancing entertainment, with wine and intoxication, try as for as possible to keep your self away from that place. In case of forced circumstances, join there, but just as if you have to go for latrine for some time.
(13) If you come across to go to listen songs, then do not do such disunion, because the people may take notice of it and say, “He runs away” and do not indulge in it completely, nor feel pleasure seeking.
(14) If relatives and the acquainted persons compel you for such deeds by means of which revoke the religiosity, then break the relationship, in event of need, because relatives, friends and the loved ones, do not help in hardship, in case, some of them are rich; even then, he/she does not give a penny. On the contrary, they would criticaster and always prepare to taunt. I do not understand as to why the people have hopes from them and bring to ruin themselves completely.
Summarily, the hierarchy of this denomination is the path ad majorem Dei gloriam (to the greater glory of God), sympathy, and acknowledgement. In this lineage, one has to have trust in God and to perform every action according to His general law and Nature. This is compulsive for every exercitant.
Essential duties: - (1) Rise before dawn.
(2) After finishing the daily needs of toilet etc. take bath. On account of sickness, weakness or for any other reason, if you are unable to take bath, then wash well your feet and hands, including the face, change the clothes.
(3) Do the practice, told to you to do daily. If somebody does not know, he should consult the same from his Guiding Master.
(4) If satsang (attendance on the true and perfect Guide) is going on, in nearby area, go there otherwise recite the books recommended for the purpose.
(5) Do prayer and the meditation in the evening after sun-set.
(6) Do prayer in the night, before retiring to bed. If possible, do the prayer at 12.00 Hrs. in the noon and at 04.00 o’clock in the evening also.
(7) In the night with whole family, including all children, do prayer and devotional songs or recite ‘Ramcharit Maanas’.
(8) Continue to repeat the recommended practice, every time, when ever you get the opportunity.
Other duties: - (1) Intake of food prepared from unreligious earnings or the same is unreliable, is very bad.
(2) As far as possible take food prepared by the hands of an associate disciple.
(3) Offer the food to God, before its intake. Its method should be consulted from your Spiritual Guide.
(4) Ensure the place, where you are taking food, is well cleaned.
(5) Take the food, simple and with holiness, but slightly less then your hunger.
(6) Talk least, while taking food.
(7) Maintain absolute abandonment of intoxicating eatables.
(8) Abandonment of non-vegetarian food.
(9) Join the banquet-parties, very rarely. Join only those parties, who are reliable for they would not serve the food prohibited for you. In case of suppressed circumstances, you can not avoid to go, then have a fast on the next day and repent on it.
(10) Have a fast once in a weak and recite some religious books.
(11) Do not hurt anybody’s heart.
(12) Do not backbite, anybody. Any fact which you can not say in front of him, do not say in his absence also.
(13) To conceal the bad habits of others.
(14) If you find anybody in hardship, then help him.
(15) Do not hate any person, might he be bad to any extent. If you hate his deeds, then pray in his favor.
(16) Do not drive off to any beggar from your vestibule. Give what ever you can part with according to your capacity, otherwise show inability in a simple manner.
(17) Even if you have to say something hard, utter it in soft spoken words.
(18) Avoid the consistency of women and the youngsters.
(19) While talking with any opposite genders, other than the spouse keep somebody else’s, companionship.
(20) Do not have in view of alien goods or the alien woman/man.
(21) Wear low priced, durable and the cleaned clothes.
(22) The men should not wear the jewelry, to the maximum, they can use of ring only.
(23) Some part of one’s earnings, sixteenth or some less then that should make out, for the charity and if there is some near relative, is in need of, give it to him. In event of none, then deposit it in the satsang (Holy service) fund, so that in need of, it may come in use of any associate’s help. The money on hand balance at the close of the year should be offered at the time of Bhandaaraa (annual congregation in the honor of the hierarchy of this denomination) so that it may be used in some Holy work.
(24) Have respect for the elder ones, love for younger ones and abiding-affection and intimacy with the condisciples. Sever your relations from whom your temperament does not agree.
(25) Give respects to the Founders of every Religion, alike your own. Listen their tenets with full honor and esteemed faith. If some thing is not intelligible to you, clarify it from any of the associates or your Guiding Preceptor, but do not take it false.
(26) Where ever you find people are criticizing any Path finder or your Master; leave the place and should pray for their betterment.
(27) As far as possible, be aloof from all the ‘associations’. Do not become member of any ‘Society’.
(28) You must make your children to learn Hindi, so that they feel easy to read the Scriptures.
(29) Do not accept the interest (on the given money). Under unavoidable need, one can take @ twenty-five paisa percent per month.
(30) Do not play gambling of any kind.
(31) It would be right to keep away from the games of ‘Playing Cards’ and ‘Chaucer’ etc.
(32) Try to accompany the people going with ‘Dead Body’, go slowly and remain engage in prayer for the deceased soul.
(33) On the death of some relative, do not cry loudly, instead, pray for him/her.
(34) The people do not perform ceremonies like ‘Daswaan’ (the ceremony of tenth day after death) etc. in the right manner and those who know the correct method, are also very rarely available. Therefore, it is not beneficial to perform these ceremonies. The person, who does the last rites, it is proper for him to be remaining sacred and recite the prayers, soundlessly, for the peace of the deceased soul, for thirteen days. On the day of the recommended ceremonies, give charity to the persons who are poor and in hardship.
Canons related to the expenditure:-
(1)It is obligatory on the part of every ‘Satsangi’ (associate) that he/she should always give a thought to these words while doing even most ordinary expenditure :- (a) whether the expenditure is on the basis of any specific or only to follow some tradition or under pressure of the inclination only. (b) If there any part of un-necessary show, is not included or this breeds any benefit to somebody or merely for ostentation. (c) If the future results of this expenditure, is not of the nature to create any obstruction in our peace full life or may not obstruct the Spiritual path. (d) If this expenditure does not go contrary to the commandments of any religion or the Society of its believers.
(2)If there remains even a sum of rupees ten surplus, after expending from one’s earnings but the debts are already existing, then it is liable on him that at the time of need, he should at least keep in mind that it is as per the tenets of the Satsang (holy association of this denomination), or not. The definition of ‘need’ is that one is unable to pull-on, without that thing. If a thing of same kind is already available in the house and the new one would not come in use, then it can not be included within the area of need.
(3)Always to keep, some part of the monthly income aside, is a must, so that it may come in use of need, without difficulty. This amount of money should come in to the help to fulfill the necessary needs of the associates.
The ethical sense demands- “Awwal-e-khesh, baadahu Dervish”. (The associate brothers and sisters should come in higher priority, than the beggars).
Daily routine of the Satsangies (associates of this denomination).
(1) Every person should get-up in the morning before the sun-rise.
(2) All of the family members, with help of the servant, should put in cleanliness of the house, somebody may sweep with the broom, some may roll-up and keep aside serially the bedrolls, after removing the bed-stand, and the other one should wipe-up the things with the duster, and so on.
(3) After getting ease from latrine, everybody should wash his/her face if needed, do take bath and then finish the Meditation etc. before sun-rise, to your might.
(4) A particular place or a room should be allotted for the Meditation. Fragrant it with the incense sticks. A clean mat should be unfolded in side the room. Every one should wear clean cloths.
(5) Begin Meditation with the prayer (soundlessly). In the end, there should again be a silent prayer. Finish all this work up to 07 O’clock.
(6) After this, do physical exercise up to fifteen minutes.
(7) Next, what ever simple food is available, take a little.
(8) Then the ladies be put-in for cookery and all of them should finish this work with mutual help. One should not put off the work to another. There should be no need for fixing up the duties, or the innings.
(9) The man and boys should be limited to recite only the devotional and religious books only.
(10) When the ladies become free after their duties related to the cookery, they should take rest for one hour. This work should conclude up to 01.00 P.M.
(11) Now the ladies should finish their remaining house-hold work, like sewing etc. up to 03.00 P.M.
(12) Ladies and children should recite the religious books.
(13) Begin with the work of food preparation, right from 03.00 P.M., jointly and with the mutual understanding; this includes sweeping too.
(14) The ladies and children should, assemble at some fixed place, at the time of evening twilight, before begin to grow dark, and should do doxology, contemplation which should not be more than thirty minutes.
(15) After dinner, all the family persons, should have a short walk and then should do ‘Satsang’ (abstract attendance on the True Supreme Being). There after do mutual talks related to scriptural clarifications etc. in the open and common area.
(16) There should absolutely be no futile talks, condemnation of others, back-biting.
(17) Every body should go to sleep latest by the 10.30 P.M. and get-up at 04.00 A.M.