About us‎ > ‎

Our Parish and Our History

Our Parish

St Mary’s is part of the Church of England, a huge organisation that covers every street and every home in the UK. It is divided into smaller parts, going down in size from diocese, through to archdeaconry, deanery and parish. St Mary’s is in:

The Diocese of Chichester, a large area that covers the South coast from Chichester to Hastings, and up to Crawley and Horsham. The person in charge of the Diocese is Bishop Martin Warner.

The Diocese is divided into smaller areas called Archdeaconries and each has its own Suffragan Bishop. St Mary’s is in the Archdeaconry of Horsham and the Bishop in charge of this area is Bishop Mark Sowerby.

Smaller still, this is then divided into a group of parishes called a deanery. St Mary’s is in the Deanery of East Grinstead, that covers East Grinstead, Crawley and the district in between.

Finally we get even smaller to the individual parishes. However, St Mary’s is a Team Ministry in which there are four churches in one parish, each with its own vicar, coming under the responsibility of the Team Rector, who is based at St Mary’s. The churches are:
 
St Mary’s, Southgate (Team Rector: Revd. Tim Wilson, Curate: Revd. Paul Stephens)
Christ the Lord, Broadfield (Team Vicar: Revd. Howard Schnaar)
St Andrew’s, Furnace Green(Team Vicar: Revd. Richard Poole)
Holy Trinity, Tilgate (Team Vicar: Revd. Robert Edwards)

History

St Mary's was built in 1958 to minister to the growing 'New Town' of Crawley. The church is built in the style of the time and is locally listed as an example of 1950s architecture.