Ships Log‎ > ‎Voyage 21‎ > ‎

Captains Blog- December 4, 2011

posted Dec 4, 2011, 3:53 PM by April Fountain   [ updated Dec 4, 2011, 3:53 PM ]

We are making good time toward Palmerston and Rarotonga.  Weather is gray and rainy, but the wind is northerly which is a good break as we could be punching 20 knots of SE.  ETA Palmerston is tomorrow morning.  Raro Thursday 0800.  Passengers are all tucked up under the awning and staying dry.  Yesterday in the calm weather we had some surfing by the crew and an unplanned MOB exercise.  On his first try, Tetaake fell off and let go of the swing.  We quickly stopped and picked him up in Love Me Tender.  Swim call followed with crew and passengers cooling off.  Swings were going off both sides of the ship and much jumping out of the rigging.  The crew set up a salt water shower with the fire hose for those who didn't want to swim and the kids whose moms wouldn't let them go in.

The weather in Puka Puka was somewhat unsettled with a heavy squall just as we arrived and NE and NW winds while we were there.  We did manage to tie up to the reef with our 600' of polypro line for some of the time, but each night we had to drift. On the first night, in the dark of the moon, the light wind switched from NE to NW - onshore.  The watch woke me with the reef half a boat length to port all alive with phosphorescence.  The GM sprang to life and Kwai quickly moved away.  We love our 12-71 push button wheelhouse start.

We sailed from Puka Puka on Thursday night after 3 days discharging 120m3 and loading back another 50m3 of returning construction equipment, hardwood logs, uto (sprouted coconuts) local brooms and 5 freezers full of fish for the Raro market.  Friday we discharged more cargo at Nassau. While the 28 passengers to Raro went ashore for lunch, we worked cargo in the lee on the SW side.  On the trip north the big red trailer could not be discharged as it was too big for the shore boat to carry.  We took it to Puka Puka where the island engineer stripped it down to parts that could be carried in the Nassau boat.  The weather held long enough to get everything off and load back more uto and freezers, but the heavens opened before the blessing and good byes could be sung ashore and we stood by until a short break gave just enough time to get all back aboard.  As we headed off, we again got the traditional Nassau send off - half hip hip hurray and half Moari chant full of energy and aloha for the friends and relatives leaving home and even for we Kwai crew, now part of another family.  

Captain Brad