Search For Lost Pets Online at Sacramento Shelters:
Please note that checking the websites below is not a substitute for going in person to the shelter.
Please also look through the "Found" cards at each shelter when you are there.
Members of the public who find strays often fill out "Found" cards at shelters without bringing the animal there.
Search For Lost Pets Online at Surrounding Area Shelters:
Important Pet Search Tips:
- Check the websites of all local shelters for your lost pet regardless of where you live.
- Check the sites frequently. The links are updated often.
- Go to the shelters in person and look every couple of days, because there is always a chance of human error and always a chance that the photos/descriptions on the websites may not be clear.
- Current state law only requires an animal shelter keep you stray pet for three business days.
- CLICK HERE and then scroll down for Sacramento area shelter locations and phone numbers
- Register at PetHarbor.com to receive email updates of shelter pets matching your lost pet's description.
Bird Specific Lost and Found Info:
Make and Post Lost/Found Pet Fliers ASAP:
- Make a Lost or Found Flier Using This Template from Best Friends Animal Society.
- Follow this useful information on where and how to post fliers by clicking here and here.
Online Classifieds - Search and Place Ads for Lost or Found Pets:
If at first you can't find the "Lost & Found" section, try searching under "Notices & Announcements."
|Amador:||Amador Ledger||(209) 223-1767|
|El Dorado:||Mountain Democrat||(530) 622-1255|
|Pets Path Home|
|Gold Panner||(530) 626-5057|
|The Clipper||(530) 626-3460|
|Elk Grove, Galt:||Elk Grove Citizen|
|Nevada City, Grass Valley: ||The Union||(530) 273-9567|
|Sac Paws||(916) 321-1241|
|Sacramento Bee||(916) 321-1000|
|Sacramento News & Review |
|Tahoe, Truckee:||Tahoe Daily Tribune||(530) 541-3880|
| ||Sierra Sun ||(530) 587-6061|
|Yolo:||Davis Enterprise||(530) 756-0800|
Auburn, Colfax, EDH,
Folsom, Granite Bay, Lincoln,
Loomis, Placer, Roseville
|Gold Country Classifieds|
Information on What To Do When You've Lost a Pet:
Information on What To Do When You've Found a Pet:
- Found Pet Tips from El Dorado County Animal Services
- Found Pet Tips from Found-pets.org
- Found Pet Tips from County of San Diego
- Found Pet Tips from Pet Club of America
- Free Found Ads can be placed in the Sacramento Bee by calling 916-321-1234 or clicking HERE.
- Free Found Ads can be placed in the Elk Grove Citizen by calling 916-685-5533
- Free Found Ads can be posted in Craig's List's Lost and Found section by clicking HERE
- You can check Craig's List Lost and Found by clickng HERE (See also SPCA's Found Pet tips above)
Scammers and Schemers:
- Whether you've lost a pet or found a pet, please beware of Scammers and Schemers.
- Advice from Petfinder on How to Avoid a Scammer (who claims to have found your lost pet)