The K4/K5 GSXR front end was installed using a new upper steering spindle bearing from Zoran and using the stock GSXR lower bearing in the SV bearing race.
The GSXR steering spindle upper bearing seal, jam nuts and washers are used so make sure they're included when you buy your front end because the cost more than $60 to buy separately.
Upper Taper Roller bearing from Zoran.
To start I had to decide what to do with the upper triple clamp.
I've seen where people have modified the GSXR triple but it looks a little dangerous to drill and mount risers and bars because the casting was not designed to take loads in that direction.
The thought of pulling away and finding the bars not connected to the bike anymore concerned me so I decided to design a custom triple to be a direct fit for this fork conversion which retains the steering lock, stock instrument panel and bars. After making all the necessary measurements and designing the model we had the triple made at a local machine shop.
I mounted rare earth magnets into the holders and bolted them into the center of 4 of the rotor rivets. I got the magnets and holders from Lee Valley Hardware (www.leevalley.com ) Magnet part number 99K31.01 ($0.24 for 10) Holder part number 99K32.51 ($0.39 for 10)
I drilled and tapped the holders and bolted them into the rotor rivets with 6-32 x 1/4 long stainless caphead screws. Update, I just changed the screws to 6-32 flatheads because the hole size in the rotor rivet varies and I wasn't confident that the caphead screws were secure enough. I'll post a sectioned drawing soon.
The sensor is a Cherry GS100701 (Same part as the Digikey item) hall effect switch from a local distributor called Master Distributors (Santa Clara, CA) but they have distributors everywhere.
I machined the bracket out of aluminum, bolted it to the fender mount tabs and drilled and tapped 2 holes with a 6-32 thread through the fender mount tab to allow the bracket to stay in pace when the fender bolts were removed.
The sensor gap to the magnets is 5mm. I originally had the gap set at about 1mm but the sensor was not able to switch to a low state before the next magnet was passing so the speedo didn't read correctly. With the 70 profile front tire the reading is closer to the actual speed than the original setup.