- 2 packages of puff pastry, defrosted
- 5 eggs (@room temp)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 liters whole milk (a little over 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons of butter (@room temp)
- Divide puff pastry into 4 equal sizes pieces; poke a few times with a fork. Bake according to instructions on the box and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan (off heat), whisk together the eggs and sugar, then whisk in flour.
- Whisk in milk and heat on medium, continuing whisking until the mixture thickens into a custard. Stir-in vanilla and take off heat.
- Once the custard has cooled to room temperature, stir-in butter one tablespoon at a time. The custard should appear glossier but not greasy.
- Place one piece of puff pastry on a serving platter and spread with 1/3 of the custard cream. Repeat twice more (puff pastry then custard cream, puff pastry then custard cream).
- Take the last piece of puff pastry crust and crumble into little pieces. Cover the top of the cake with the puff pastry flakes. Refrigerate overnight.