Welcome to Russ Cottage Museum, Dongara WA

Russ Cottage was built about 1870 and was purchased by the Shire of Irwin from the Russ family 100 years later. The cottage was leased to the Irwin District Historical Society for the purpose of establishing an historic cottage representative of the district. 
Russ Cottage 1970 in a derelict state
Russ Cottage in a derelict state -1970

Volunteers undertook extensive restoration of the derelict structure. The interior was furnished with items donated by descendants of families who had moved into the district in the mid to late 1800s.
Sir David Brand, Premier of Western Australia
Sir David Brand, Dongara resident and Premier of Western Australia.

Locally born Sir David Brand, the State Premier, officially opened the historic cottage on 23 January 1971.
Russ Cottage Opening - 1971
Russ Cottage Opening - 1971

History of the Site

The first European credited with traversing the Irwin District was Lt. George Grey. In 1839, having been shipwrecked at Gantheaume Bay (Kalbarri) he and his exploration party were forced to walk the 700 km to the Swan River Settlement (Perth).

The district was opened to graziers in 1851 and The Cattle Company took up leases in the Upper Irwin. In 1852 tillage leases and the townsite of Dongarra were surveyed.

Russ Cottage Site Map
Russ Cottage site map showing the cottage, shop and market garden




Subpages (1): The Russ family
Comments