RP&NGC 1945-1964 Page 2

Royal Papua and New Guinea Constabulary
Page Two


Sub/Insp Keatch ANZAC day Kavieng  1951

 Senior Inspector Jack Woodmansey Port Moresby 1958 just before he resigned on 6/7/1958 

 Parade Ground Inspection Kila Barracks 1964
Inspectors Robert Robertson Bill Burns and Sub/Insp Barrie Baxter


Sub Insp John Herbert Rabaul Parade 1955

First intake of local cadet officers  inspection by (COP) Chris Normoyle

Sub/Insp Barry Baxter, Insp B Holloway,  Superintendent Jack Graham, Insp Bill Burns.

S/Insps, Thomas, Harvey, Cooper, Coris, McGrath, Feeney, Bradley Atkinson,

Fisher, Insp Woodmancy, Supt Upson, Insps McNeil, S/Insps Dutton, Payne,

S/Insp Elliot, Dench, Collins, Howisett.


Sub/ Inspector Brian Williamson

The 1969 Royal Visit New Guinea Dave Crawley


Peter  Broman 1952

Police Officers escort Prime Minister of Australia Sir Robert Menzies 7th September 1963, to open the dam , part of a Territory-wide plan for power generation, this dam built to supply power to Port Moresby.





Royal Papua and New Guinea Constabulary:
The burial of  Constables Buatori and Purari  killed at Telefomin 6th Nov 1953


Second N.G. Patrol Officer Missing
CANBERRA, November 9.
Another patrol officer is missing — feared killed — in New Guinea as a result of a native attack last week in which a cadet patrol officer was killed. Native reports say that the missing man, Patrol Officer Gerald Leo Szarka, 30, of Leura. NSW; and three native policemen were killed before i the attack on Cadet Patrol officer Geoffrey Brodribo Harris. 22. of Cremome NSW. Cadet Officer Harris was killed last Friday. An official statement from t he Department of Territories tonight says fears are   held for Szarka 's safety, by the natives' report of the death of Szarka and his policeman have not yet been confirmed. The two officers were at tacked by natives in the newly-opened Telefomin .area Party On Way District Commissioner Temperley and a party were on their way to Misininin to check the account of Szarka's fate, adds the statement.     Cadet Officer Harris's body was flown back to Wewak on Sunday for burial. The Minister for Territories (Mr Hasluck) to   night expressed his deep sympathy with the relatives of the two officers.   Patrol Officer Szarka, an ex-serviceman, went to the territory in 1950, he added, and by his personality and keenness had quickly gained recognition as a very   competent officer. SYDNEY, Nov. 9.— Mr S. W. Szarka, of Leura, father of Patrol Officer Szarka. collapsed after news had been received that his son was missing in New Guinea. Late tonight an officer from the External Affairs Department visited Mr and Mr's. Szarka's home with   official news regarding then son. Mrs Szarka said that she had received information from her son that the standard of the natives in the area was very good. Referring to his recent transfer to the Telefomin area, Mrs. Szarka said her son had told her he had 'a lot of cleaning up' to do, and had found that half the natives were in gaol. ''They had not received sufficient advice on this area before going there,' said Mr Szarka, 'as they found a wild crowd of natives and were apparently caught without any (or very little) ammunition.' Flight Soon Mrs. Szarka has arranged to fly to New Guinea at the week-end. A letter written at the week-end and received in Sydney from Wewak, NG, to day, states: 'When the patrol in charge of Cadet Patrol Officer Harris, who had three native police with him, was attacked in the Telefomin area, his native carriers   deserted. 'Another patrol was also attacked near where Harris was killed with tomahawks  

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 10 November 1953

This article states three Police Constables were killed in fact only two Constables were murdered 

The Body of Patrol Officer Gerald Leo Szarka bring escorted from Telefomin to plane for transportation to Australia  November 1953

to read more  go to the web site below

The Telefomin murders revisited: the gritty detail


Sub Insprctor John Geranger with R&NGC
detachment 1954



The opening of the Markham River Bridge 29 January 1955  with Supt Ron Hicks Donald Cleland the Administrator and Sub/Insp Corlis

shopify site analytics