Currently I am a Ramón y Cajal Fellow at the Dept. of Economics & Business of Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona. I obtained my PhD in the joint Rice – M.D. Anderson Statistics program (Houston, USA) under Peter Müller and did a postdoc under Valen Johnson and Veera Baladandayuthapani at M.D. Anderson. I spent several years at IRB Barcelona as head of Biostatistics & Biostatistics Unit and later at the University of Warwick Statistics Dept. (UK). On my free time I love biking & outdoors.
Broadly my research interests include high-dimensional inference, experimental design, dimensionality reduction and applied statistical modeling, with emphasis on the Bayesian approach. See the publications section for more details, or Google scholar for a publication list. Most of my methodology is available in R packages.
Some exciting upcoming meetings
- GSE Data Science for Economics Summer Forum (June 17-18, Barcelona) Website
- Data Science Summer School (July 8-12 Barcelona) Website
- Bayescomp Jan 2020 (Gainsville, Florida)
- ISBA World Meeting 2020 (Kunming, China)
Title: JOB: Postdoc in Mathematical Statistics, Barcelona
We invite applications for a post-doctoral position with a general focus on probabilistic graphical models, networks, and high-dimensional statistics. The successful candidate will be working at the Pompeu Fabra University and the Data Science Center in Barcelona, primarily under the supervision of Piotr Zwiernik with possible co-supervision by Gábor Lugosi, Eulalia Nualart, Omiros Papaspiliopoulos, or David Rossell. The position is offered for one year (extendible to two subject to funding). The starting date is flexible, but preferably in 2019. A competitive salary will be offered.
Interested candidates should email their CV and short research statement to Piotr Zwiernik (email@example.com).
Other funding opportunities
- LaCaixa InPhDInit program
- BGSMath PhD Program. https://bgsmath.cat/phd-calls-and-awards/
- Juan de la Cierva Fellowships. 2-year positions, with two options: “Incorporación” (for PhDs with 2-4 years of postdoc experience; 1 of them outside their hosting institution) and “Formación” (0-2 years postdoc experience). Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO).
- BP-DGR (Beautriu de Pinós Grants).2 -year postdoc positions for researchers with a minimum of 2 years of postdoctoral experience abroad. Funded by Generalitat de Catalunya.
- Individual Fellowships-Marie Slodowska-Curie Actions. Funded by the European Commission, the IF-MSCA support top fellows from inside and outside Europe, through diverse instruments, providing excellent conditions to further independent research development.
- “La Caixa” Junior Leaders. Sponsored by Obra Social ”la Caixa”, the programme is aimed at hiring excellent international talent to continue their research career in Spain on any discipline.
- BGSMath Postdoctoral program https://bgsmath.cat/postdoc-calls-and-awards/
Mobility grants at UPF https://www.upf.edu/web/international//vine-a-la-upf-pdi
Older bits & pieces:
- Science careers article by Elisabeth Pain (2010).
- Agencia SINC and Diario Médico news on the Bayesian methods in Biostatistics and Bioinformatics conference (2012).