house: 503-841-5927 cell: 412-267-7377 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To utilize my technical, social and computer management/administration expertise to bring maximum benefit to organizations through their IT/IS departments
, be it through back end systems work or programming front end applications, and everything in between.
25 years of professional scripting and programming experience, 19 years of web application development experience using HTML, XHTML, LAMP (both PHP and Perl, as well as a variety of DB engines, and similar environments such as Ruby on Rails), 18 years of professional router and firewall experience
Experienced with design, authoring and maintenance of object oriented programming as well as procedural programming code bases
Comfortable with Agile, Waterfall, XP, TDD, and ad-hoc/custom development methods
Experience with version control, ticketing, and QA tools, including SVN, CVS, Git, Mantis, Trac, Bugzilla, Unfuddle, Pivotal, Zendesk, and JIRAExperience with automated deployment, virtualization, and tools such as PXE, Chef, and AMI to rapidly build out systems and clouds
Authored and administered custom and stock e-commerce platforms
Expertise with web security practices, server security practices, network security practices
Administered CMS systems (proprietary and open source), and many other kinds of dynamically generated data-driven websites
Work with diverse DBMS's, including mSQL, MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle
Work with diverse operating system families, including Linux, BSD, Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX, AIX, DG/UX, MacOS, Windows
Strong communication skills (verbal and written), manage time-on-task, document tasks, and track ongoing results, work well in a team environment; efficiently share knowledge with other team members
Areas Of Expertise
Technical and systems support, integration, and architecture in multi-platform, data intensive, environments
Enterprise web application design, programming, and maintenance
Multiplatform (hetrogenous) computer systems administration
Diagnosis and troubleshooting of complex hardware and software problems
Web platform enterprise/global scaling and complex troubleshootingCreating and instituting automated, efficient, testing, development, and QA environments and workflows
General Range of Accomplishments
- Set up, administered, mastered and maintained a diverse
range of operating systems, work flows, processes, computer
hardware setups, multiple network protocols, for millions of users, in a variety of knowledge domains. (See: software and hardware and coding philosophy and examples)
2013-2013 Appfog.com, a multiple data center, and numerous applications (400K+ apps, 100K+ devs), cloud company.
Contract Devops Engineer
- Responsible for maintaining and building linux app nodes, service nodes, SSL termination nodes
- Rode support queue to co-ordinate issues among disparate teams
- Debugged and maintained build-out images and deployment scripts across multiple cloud vendor platforms
- Working stack: Ubuntu, Apache, PHP, Ruby, Node, Java, Git, CloudFoundry, AWS, Chef
2012-2013: Agilyx, a plastics recycling engineering company
Contract SQL Applications Engineer
- Responsible for maintaining and building linux systems, reporting applications, DB systems
- Maintained SCADA-to-centralized-data reporting workflow
- Tuned DB systems to handle severe amounts of data processing
- Implemented standardized systems build scripts, version tracking, machine management
- Rescued near-abandoned codebase and and created public release in <3 months, with releases every 2 months after
- Working stack: SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server), Apache, PHP, MySQL, SVN, AutoDesk Vault, Virtualbox
2012-2012: careinnovations.com, a GE/Intel health products company
Contract Systems Programming
- Responsible for systems builds
- Managed systems for daily compiles and builds, wikis, and QA testing platforms
- Working stack: Arch Linux, Apache, Tomcat, Jenkins, Java, PHP, Android, Mediawiki, MySQL
2011-2012: getclicky.com, an internet analytics company
Contract Systems Programming
- Implemented and maintained numerous internal metrics and tracking systems for hardware management, alerting, and business metrics
- Assisted on build-out for new systems architecture for auto-imaging, testing, virtualization, testing, and deployment
- Ran numerous testing setups to ensure smooth scaling (across ~430,000 websites of continuous data) for new features
- Working stack: Debian, KVM, OpenVZ, Zabbix, Nagios, PXE, PHP, Perl, bash, Apache, nginx, MySQL, pivotal, qmail
2009-2011: G5platform.com, an internet and offline marketing company
Contract Software Engineer
- Implemented and maintained company-wide documentation systems, bringing together numerous existing systems into a single, central, mediawiki-based system.
- Created automated web ranking systems to instantly provide and analyze data spanning 3,000 URL's, replacing 640 man hours per quarter with instant results.
- Created ad-hoc scripts for multiple departments to reduce/eliminate manual data entry, analysis, and lookups, saving tens to hundreds of hours (depending on script) per quarter.
- Working stack: Debian, Ubuntu, Xen, Nagios, Apache, nginx, Perl, PHP, ruby, bash, MySQL, sendmail
2006-2009: Promopeddler.com, a promotional products sales/distribution company
Senior Web Developer, QA Manager, Systems Administration, Networking
2001-2006: Ronin Professional Consulting L.L.C. , an IT consulting company, targeting directories, graphics industries, franchising companies, national/infrastructure security, networking
- Architected multiple fully redundant, fault tolerant server and network systems that reduced downtime. We reduced 20 days a year of unscheduled
downtime to 0.08 seconds of transparent fail over (no "user
experienced" downtime, using mod_proxy, drbd, and concurrent networks) a month, recovering an estimated $1,600,000 (per
year) in previously lost sales and productivity, using a $200,000
- Managed code/bug/feature review for refactoring a 12 developer, constantly re-patched, E-commerce (osCommerce base, with custom modules and edits) solution into a modern, scalable, custom work flow (this was a ground-up rebuild).
- Implemented code tracking, task tracking, bug tracking, system monitoring, procedure and documentation systems.
- Refactored and tuned a 7-day PHP/bash data load process (for a 300K+ item catalog) into a 3 hour PHP/bash job.
- Working stack: RHEL, CentOS, Xen, Nagios, PHP, Perl, bash, Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, sendmail, DRBD. RHN/Satellite
Systems Administration, Security Research, Web Developer, DBA, Consultant
1999-2001: Professional Network Solutions, Inc.
an IT consulting company, targeting banking, stock market businesses, franchising, enterprise email systems
- Member of a 24/7 "Zero-Day" solutions team, to find, research, profile, and (if feasible) detect all new major computer security network-related risks that threatened national, corporate, or other major assets and infrastructure, providing research results, and detection solutions, within a 24-hour sliding window of threat notification.
- Designed and implemented directory system encompassing 200+ offices, 30K+ users, with A/B testing for different solutions.
- Created meta-cart system to replace numerous ad-hoc cart systems, with non-sophisticated user input interfaces for non-expert users to manage their cart systems.
- Led a small team of employees for an IT migration of both core, and edge, systems in a 3-day window, for a multi-site corporation, from Tucson, AZ to Salt Lake City, UT, with up to 24 hours of maximum allowed downtime, 8 hours was the final downtime result.
- Transitioned companies (as needed) from blind-write databases to ACID-compliant database systems.
- Working stack: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Slackware, FreeBSD, Solaris, SunOS, IOS, openldap, Nagios, PHP, Perl, bash, Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, sendmail, qmail, postfix, Snort, Nessus, etc.
Web Development, Senior Consultant
1994-1999: Hollis Digital Imaging Systems, Inc., a pre-press & printing company.
- Converted a 200-site, 8
language, group of international web properties scattered on disparate
servers into a single server, with a unified code base, saving millions
in ongoing maintenance costs.
- Designed a testing environment for a stock market management system to handle 12 million emails/hour.
- One of a 3-man team that built and deployed a 6 data-center, 18 million user, mail and directory system in a 36 hour implementation window with 30 seconds of total downtime.
- Built custom firewall solutions to individual needs, rather than deploying "one size fits all" appliances.
- Redesigned reporting databases for a multi-million (14 million+) product, several hundred thousand vendor, catalog logging system in MySQL to use a normalized PostgreSQL system, cutting individual report times from 5 hours to 5 seconds.
- Working stack: RHEL, CentOS, Debian, Slackware, FreeBSD, Solaris, SunOS, openldap, Nagios, PHP, Perl, bash, Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, sendmail, qmail, postfix, etc.
Systems Administrator, Special Projects Manager, Pre-press Technician
- Working stack: RedHat, DG/UX, Solaris, SunOS, openldap, Nagios, PHP, Perl, bash, Apache, PostgreSQL, sendmail, qmail, Quark Express, Photoshop, InPosition and other standard pre-press programs
1991-1999: Freelance Computer Consultant, small business IT
Desktop Support, LAN Support, DB support, RAD programming
1981-1994: Custom Wholesale, Inc.
a textile decoration company
Department Manager, Desktop Support, Network Support, Digitizer
NSA, NASDAQ, Intuit, Alphagraphics, Inc., Banco Bital
Professional Affiliations, Clubs, and Groups (Past and Present)
Arizona Macintosh User’s Group, Association of Database Developers
(charter member), Computer Using Graphic Artists, North American Data
General Users Group, Professional Pre-press Alliance, Sonoran Linux Users
Group, Tucson Macintosh Users Group, Tucson Free Unix Group, PHP-DEV, PHP-DOC, Portland Linux Users Group
Volunteer Work and Related Personal Hobbies
PHP documentation author and maintainer
Published electronic musician (4 CDs, appeared on 30+ albums)
Volunteer IT and support staff for non-profits