For a complete list of publications, choose the CV or the Profile in Public Databases from the menu on the left.
Health, Population, and Development
- Gary Becker's Contributions in Health Economics. Journal of Demographic Economics, 81(1), March 2015, 51-57.
- Water Scarcity and Birth Outcomes in the Brazilian Semiarid (with Rudi Rocha). Journal of Development Economics, 112, January 2015, 72-91.
- Evaluating the Impact of Community-Based Health Interventions: Evidence from Brazil’s Family Health Program (with Romero Rocha). Health Economics, 19(S1), September 2010, 126–158.
Fertility, and the Value of Children: Health Policy Evaluation and
Intergenerational Welfare (with Javier A. Birchenall). Journal of Public Economics, 93(1-2), February 2009, 280-295.
- The Demographic Transition and the Sexual Division of Labor (with
Bruno Falcão). Journal of Political Economy, 116(6), December 2008, 1058-1104.
- Health and the Evolution of
Welfare across Brazilian Municipalities. Journal of Development Economics, 84(2), November 2007, 590–608.
- On the Determinants of Mortality
Reductions in the Developing World. Population and Development Review, 33(2), June 2007, 247-287.
- Mortality Reductions, Educational
Attainment, and Fertility Choice. American Economic Review, 95(3), June 2005, 580-601.
- The Quantity and Quality of Life
and the Evolution of World Inequality (with Gary S. Becker and Tomas J. Philipson). American Economic Review, 95(1), March 2005, 277-291.
- Spillovers from Conditional Cash Transfer Programs: Bolsa Família and Crime in Urban Brazil (with Laura Chioda and João M. P. de Mello). Economics of Education Review, forthcoming.
- The Welfare Cost of Homicides in Brazil: Accounting for Heterogeneity in the Willingness to Pay for Mortality Reductions (with Daniel Cerqueira). Health Economics, forthcoming.
High Crime Rates in Latin America: The Role of Social and Policy
(with Joana Naritomi). In: Rafael Di Tella,
Sebastian Edwards, and Ernesto Schargrodsky (editors). The Economics of Crime: Lessons for and from Latin America, University of Chicago Press, 2010, 19-55.
- The Welfare Cost of Violence
across Countries. Journal of Health Economics, 25(5), September
- Crime Reporting as a Measure of
Institutional Development. Economic Development and Cultural Change, 52(4), July 2004, 851-871.
- Development, Crime, and
Punishment: Accounting for the International Differences in Crime Rates. Journal of Development Economics, 73(1), February
Institutions and History
- Access to Justice and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Brazil's Special Civil Tribunals (with Guilherme Lichand). Journal of Law and Economics, 57(2), May 2014, 459-499.
- A Note on Slavery and the Roots of Inequality (with Juliano J. Assunção e Tomás F. Goulart). Journal of Comparative Economics, 40(4), November 2012, 565–580.
- Institutional Development and Colonial Heritage within Brazil (with Joana
Naritomi and Juliano J. Assunção). Journal of Economic History, 72(2), June 2012, 393-422.
- Accountability and Corruption:
Political Institutions Matter (with Daniel Lederman
and Norman Loayza). Economics and Politics, 17(1), March
Labor in Developing Countries