District Dress Policy
Richland School District Dress Code Guidelines
It is the goal of the Richland School District to establish and maintain a quality-learning environment for all students and staff. To that end, we expect all students to dress in a manner that provides for adequate safety while on any school campus. Further, we hope to instill the understanding of, and adherence to, appropriate dress for a work environment as we prepare students for their future career. It is also the responsibility of the school administrators to take reasonable steps to ensure a learning environment free from sexual harassment.
Students wearing clothing that is disruptive to the learning environment or hampers the safety of themselves or others as determined by the school will be asked to change clothing and may be subject to school discipline should they refuse to do so. These guidelines are not intended to be all-inclusive. The Principle has the authority to determine if the clothing is disruptive to learning or impacts student safety.
In order to maintain adherence to this dress code policy, students may not wear the following:
· Clothing that disrupts the educational process.
· Shorts and shirts shorter than mid-thigh in length.
· Clothing that reveals the back or midriff, or through which skin and/or undergarment is visible, or when arms are raised becomes visible. These include but are not limited to:
o Sheer tops
o Mesh tops
o Overly larger openings at the neck or arms
o Off the shoulder tops
o Spaghetti straps
o Halter tops
o Tube tops
o Swim tops
o Clothing that exposes the midriff
· Clothing or accessories with offensive pictures, symbols or sayings.
· These include but are limited to:
o Demeaning statements
o Violent statements
o Sexual statements
o Racial statements
· Clothing that advertises or promotes tobacco, alcohol or other drugs.
· Jewelry or accessories that could be used to cause harm or injury.
· Any gang affiliated clothing.
The wearing of the head coverings shall be determined by each building.
A good general policy regarding the dress code is: If there is ANY QUESTION about an item being inappropriate, DO NOT WEAR IT.