Mark Crick

We were all saddened to learn of the death of Mark Crick in March 2011.
Mark was an enthusiastic supporter in the early days of Stamford RiverCare, and his contribution, particularly has tremendous environmental knowledge, will be greatly missed.
The following is an article from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph written by William Smith on 16th April 2011:
Heartfelt tributes have been paid to an "inspirational" father and husband who died while snorkelling in the Caribbean.
Mark Crick (47) was on an environmental field trip to the Turks and Caicos Islands when his body was found floating in the sea to the north of the town of Providenciales.
The 47-year-old, who worked at the Joint Nature Conservation Committee in Peterborough, was rushed to the emergency department of the Cheshire Hall Medical Centre but paramedics were unable to resuscitate him.
Mark had been working in the islands for a week and had been due to fly home on 26th March.
He told friends and family that morning that he was going for a quick snorkel before his flight.
Mark was an experienced swimmer and snorkeller. His body was discovered that afternoon about 5pm.
A spokesman for Turks and Caicos police said there was no foul play suspected and the coroner on the island was satisfied with the pathologist's verdict of death by drowning.
His body was flown home last weekend and an inquest was opened and adjourned on Thursday by Stamford coroner Gordon Ryall.
Mark leaves behind wife Helga and sons Ben and Tom.
Helga said: "Mark was our best friend. He was always there for us even if he was feeling tired or down. He would always join in with anything we wanted to do, regardless of how he felt.
"He was a very modest man but he was passionate about all that he did."
Mark, who was born and raised in Luton, was an experienced botanist and worked as an environmental officer for the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust before moving to Stamford in 1988.
He had been in Turks and Caicos seeing how a satellite map he had helped create could benefit conservation on the gound.
Helga said: "I spoke to him on the Saturday morning. His voice was going because he'd done an evening of karaoke but he seemed fine and wished Ben luck for a show he would be involved in later that day."
The family found out about Mark's death two days after it happened on 28th March.
Helga said: "I hadn't expected to hear from Mark until he got home, but instead of my husband the knock on the door came from a policeman.
"It was a complete shock. The saddest thing is that he never got to see any of Ben's performance awards.
"It's very sad for all of us but we are trying to stay positive and celebrate his life.
"Ben has been the man of the house for the past two weeks. He has mowed the lawn and asked me if he needs to learn how to use a drill.
"Tom takes after his dad's love of nature and has a science corner in his bedroom.
"The two of them would often go out bat-tracking in the summer and I think Tom is hoping to follow his father into conservation."
Tributes have poured in from Mark's former colleagues who have been devastated by the news of his death.
The Rutland and Stamford Mercury hosted a Book of Condolences for Mark.
Mark Crick (picture from Rutland and Stamford Mercury)