(updated 3 June 2011)
Sociology Final Exam - the list of key concepts can be found here
Highest-paying majors: No, English is still not one of them (The Washington Post, 24 May 2011)
Where is the poorest town in the United States?
Hoop Dreams resources
Hoop Dreams, 15 Years later (2010)
Son of "Hoop Dreams" player aims high (2010)
Looking Back at Broken 'Dreams' (2004)
Each week, you will be required to create three posts on Edmodo, an online learning community:
1. A current event. See the instructions here.
2. A reflection on the chapter's material. See the instructions here.
3. Movie reflections. See the instructions here.
To login in, go to edmodo.com, create an account, and use ttgxqm to join the Sociology group.
Once there, you should see the first week's assignment. be sure to respond to each in correct
Here is the login information for turnitin.com.
Class ID: 3791994 Password: durkheim
Mapping America - Every city, Every block (The New York Times)
How to Live Forever (Newsweek, April 2011)
Devil's Playground analysis
- analyze some aspect(s) of the Amish culture depicted in the movie using the three different sociological
perspectives: interactionism, functionalism, and conflict theory
- you may choose one characteristic, and analyze it using the three theories, or three different characteristics
- take notes while viewing so you’ll be able to complete the assignment and refer to specific examples from
Your Social Network / The IHS Social Network (due Monday, 14 March)
Ch. 9 - Social stratification
Time to school this myth (The Seattle Times, 15 Feb. 2011)
Web of Popularity, Achieved by Bullying (The New York Times, 14 Feb. 2011)
Teenagers, Friends and Bad Decisions (NYT, 3 Feb. 2011)
Social Scientist Sees Bias Within (NYT, 7 Feb. 2011)
Op-Ed at 40: Four Decades of Argument and Illustration
Ch. 5: Socialization
Parents or Prisons (read by Friday, 10/9)
Going Dutch (The perils of European socialism?) [The New York Times Magazine, 3 May 2009]
Losing It: Why Self-Control Is Not Natural (LiveScience.com, 10 Apr. 2009)
Ch. 9: Stratification
Minimum wage assignment - type, and bring to class on .
Supplemental readings jigsaw - due turnitin before 7:25am on .
Ch. 11: Gender, Age, & Health
American Crossword Puzzle Tournament