My current interests include:
1) Machine Learning, Probabilistic Reasoning, Social Network Analysis, Social Network platforms, Knowledge Representation, Graphs, Semantic Web, novel UX
2) Novel app, website, and UX techniques for adaptive websites and applications (mobile and desktop):
3) Using fully-reified, metadata-rich graph data models for:
- Enabling users to assume one of multiple personas which affects their UX, site recommendation engine behavior, and the overall response of a website/app.
- Enabling UIs to adapt (move UI widgets) based on a user's handedness (left- or right-handed) so that buttons and other controls are closer to a user's thumb.
- Fundamental changes at the OS level of touch-based devices such that touch events are more intelligently routed to the 'most likely' UI widget instead of the current problematic approach( shape.contains( Point ) ). For instance, develop hybrid deterministic and learned rules for touch event routing which take into consideration the area, perimeter and centroid of the touch point area, the distances to centroids and sizes of the UI widgets in this vicinity, and the severity of potential ramifications were a user to inadvertently activate an unintended UI widget.
- Exploiting touch event pressure values to finally enable cursor hover-like UI behavior. See this input I submitted to the W3C for Touch Events version 2: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012JulSep/0001.html.
• Advanced educational knowledge bases, visualization and collaboration
• Medical-Environmental-Occupational cause-effect data collection, representation, and data mining
Development of graphical UI techniques allowing non-technical users to
enter semantically precise statements (from ontology/taxonomy trees) as well as uncertain information
Developing advanced Business Process Management (BPM) techniques to
manage and exploit pervasive sensor networks in hospitals to minimize
medical errors, improve the quality of care, reduce costs, and optimize
6) Telemedicine: Developing novel medical devices, sensor
systems, centralized communication hubs, sensor-enabled devices, EMR and
other standards, and two-way communication technologies (e.g., over
smart phones, in-the-home devices, others). [Categories: remote medicine, health care]. Results of one-hour brainstorming/early thoughts:
Facilitating the creation of new, federal programs in the areas of
Health, Autism, and Education as well as fostering much-needed changes
to public policy for these areas as well as NIH medical research funding policy.
Other interests include:
- Combinatorial Optimization
- Knowledge/information representation and visualization
- Advanced HCI techniques
- Exploitation of multi- and hyperspectral imaging in many fields
- Graph layout and drawing
- Graph data models, interaction, and mining
- Web search specification and results UIs
- AI, NLP, Semantic Web, human and machine language/linguistic representation and translation, visualization of thoughts/ideas and their origination
- Replacing blogging technologies so that large numbers (1,000s) of comments can be effectively summarized and browsed
- Improved/intelligent e-mail clients
- Probabilistic data representation and reasoning
- Re-thinking computing