Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, highly toxic, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon fuels. It can kill quickly and with little warning.
Any solid fuel appliance installed since October 2010 should have a CO detector fitted in the same room. It is the installer’s responsibility to do this so if there is not one fitted contact the installer.
If your appliance is from before October 2010 then I urge you to fit one anyway.
Before October 2015 all landlords should have supplied and fitted CO detectors in every room where there is a solid fuel appliance. See my web page on Landlords & Tenants. Please note, just handing a detector to the tenant is not good enough. The detector must be fitted.
I can supply and fit CO alarms. The alarms I use have sealed lithium batteries that last for the lifetime of the detector.