Philip Orin Parmelee bibliography

Philip Orin Parmelee (1887 – June 1, 1912) was a pioneering aviator trained by the Wright brothers.

  • Unknown paper; Columbus, Ohio; November 7, 1910; Phil O. Parmelee, of Michigan, one of the Wright aeroplane operators today made the fastest, cross-country flight ever made in a biplane. Parmelee flew from Dayton direct to Columbus, passing over South Charleston and London. The airline distance as given out by the Wrights is 65 miles, and the flight was made in 66 minutes. Parmelee carried $1,000 worth of silk for a drygoods firm, and it is stated that this is the first time that the biplane has been put to such commercial use. Thousands of people here watched the bi-plane sail over the south end of the city and land at the driving park. Parmelee flew at a height of 3,000 feet.
  • New York Times; November 8, 1910; Mile a Minute Cross-Country; Wright Biplane Flies From Dayton to Columbus with Cargo of Silk.
  • Washington Post; December 10, 1910; Aerial Racing Is the Coming Sport, Asserts Glenn H. Curtiss. Aviation Field, Los Angeles, California, December 28, 1910. England and France, in a speed combination, defeated the United States today in the first aeroplane derby ever flown, James Radley, the British speed champion, in a French Bleriot monoplane, beat Eugene Ely, driving a Curtiss racer, and Phil Parmalee, in a "Baby" Wright, in an eight and three-quarters mile race.
  • New York Times; December 29, 1910; Radley Wins Airship Race. Beats Ely and Parmalee in a Contest at Los Angeles.
  • New York Times; June 2, 1912; Aviator Parmalee Plunges to Death; Caught by Treacherous Gust of Wind While Giving Exhibition Flight in Washington State. North Yakima, Washington, June 1, 1912. Philip Parmalee, the aviator, was killed here today while giving an exhibition flight from the fair grounds. Parmalee was the flying partner of Clifford Turpin, whose airship flew into the grandstand at Seattle Thursday, killing two persons and injuring fifteen.
  • Washington Post; June 2, 1912; Crushed Under Aero; Philip Parmalee, Laughing at Warning, Falls to Death. Flew Despite Heavy Wind. Believed That Sudden Gust Struck Machine and Rendered Elevating Planes Unmanageable. Farmers Drag Body From Beneath Machine. Regarded as Safest of American Aviators. North Yakima, Washington, June 1, 1912. With a smile and a wave of his hand to the thousands who watched him in his aeroplane, Philip O. Parmalee took the air in the teeth of a gusty west wind here this afternoon. Three minutes later his broken and lifeless body was dragged from beneath the wreckage of his biplane in an apple orchard in the lower end of the Moxee valley, 2 miles from his starting point. The exact cause of his plunge to death probably never will be known.
  • Unknown paper; June 2, 1912; Philip O. Parmelee, son of Charles Parmelee, St. Johns, and a former Marion boy, who was considered to be one of the best and most careful aviators in America, fell to his death in North Yakima, Washington, Saturday afternoon, June 1, 1912, before the eyes of thousands of visitors to the fair grounds. Philip was holder of the American endurance record in aviation and was used to remaining in the air for three hours without accident, had been up only three minutes when a contrary gust of wind caught the tail of his aeroplane and turned it completely over. Parmelee clung to the frame work, but the plane shot straight for the ground from a height of 400 feet, where it crumbled into a shapeless heap in a field three miles distant from the fair grounds. The young aviator was beneath the wreckage. Officials of the fair and attendants of the hanger rushed across the open fields to the spot where the wreck lay, but Parmelee was dead when they reached him. Parmelee, an especial protege of Wilbur Wright, who died on Thursday, was a carefully trained airman. It is believed that some imprecedented atmospheric condition must have had a part in causing the wreck of his machine. J. Clifford Turpin, grief stricken over the death of his friend and flying partner, Philip Parmelee, has announced he will fly no more. Turpin, himself, had a narrow escape from death Decoration Day at Seattle, Washington, when his machine crashed to the ground, killing a spectator and injuring fifteen. Turpin left at once from North Yakima, Washington, to St. Johns with the body of Parmelee. Philip Parmelee was 27 years of age. He spent his early years with his parents in this vicinity and it was here that his mother was killed in a run a way accident. He leaves a devoted father and a host of admiring friends in Marion, St. Johns and many other places.
  • Michigan Historical Marker; 1979; Philip Orin Parmalee, noted early aviator, lived a tragically brief but venturesome life. Born in 1887 in Matherton, Michigan. Parmalee grew up in nearby St. Johns, Clinton County, where he developed a keen interest in mechanical devices. This led him to join the Ohio flying school run by Wilbur and Orville Wright. After training he went on to become a famous flier for the Wright Exhibition Team. Fascinated with aircraft, Parmalee was the first pilot to transport merchandise, drop live test bombs from a plane and search from the air for criminals. Nicknamed "Skyman," Parmalee held world endurance, speed, and altitude records, and performed at flying exhibitions. During one such flight on June 1, 1912, in North Yakima, Washington, Parmalee's plane crashed and he was killed, ending a promising career dedicated to the then perilous adventure of flying. He was buried in East Plains Cemetery in Clinton County. By constant experimentation with their primitive planes, Parmalee and other early fliers contributed to the science of of aviation which was the forerunner of today's sophisticated and safe air travel.