HOME‎ > ‎EAST PROVIDENCE SOUTH‎ > ‎EAST PROVIDENCE NORTH‎ > ‎PW&B ROUTE‎ > ‎VALLEY FALLS‎ > ‎WOONSOCKET‎ > ‎PASCOAG LINE‎ > ‎HARTFORD LINE‎ > ‎MAIN LINE‎ > ‎PAWTUXET VALLEY‎ > ‎BUTTONWOODS‎ > ‎WARWICK‎ > ‎WICKFORD‎ > ‎KINGSTON‎ > ‎

NARRAGANSETT

NARRAGANSETT PIER RAILROAD COMPANY
 
        The Narragansett Pier Railroad opened in July 1876.  The 8 1/2 mile line was built mainly to attract visitors to the resort at Narragansett Pier.  It also served the Peace Dale mills of its founders, the Hazard family.  It connected with the New York, Providence & Boston at Kingston.  It was independent except from 1910 to 1920 when it was controlled by the New Haven's Rhode Island Company.  When passenger revenue evaporated, it survived by serving a handful of freight customers and for a time even operated tourist excursions.
 
 
NPRR Number 1 "Narragansett" was built by Mason in 1876 and served until about 1891.
 
OCEAN DRIVE AT NARRAGANSETT PIER WAS THE LOCATION OF SEVERAL LARGE HOTELS
The Narragansett Pier's first station was to the left and the engine and car houses were at the bottom.
Small steamers to Newport docked at South Pier on the right.
 
NPRR NUMBER 2, "NAMCOCK"  WAS PURCHASED FROM THE P&W IN 1877
The small 4-4-0 was built by Rhode Island in 1872 as P&W 27.
It was sold to the Wood River Branch Railroad in 1883.
 
THE NARRAGANSETT PIER STATION WHEN NEW IN 1896
 
 
 THE REAR OF THE NEW NARRAGANSETT PIER STATION
 
 
 
 
WAKEFIELD DEPOT WAS 3 MILES NORTH OF THE "PIER" AND 5.5 MILES FROM KINGSTON
In 1953 track south of Wakefield was abandoned.
 
WAKEFIELD STATION AS EXTENDED AND WITH A SECOND STORY
Drawn for the September 1974 Model Railroader Magazine by Robert A. Wegner
(side and rear drawings are in the issue)
 
 
NPRR NUMBER 4 WAS BUILT BY RHODE ISLAND IN 1891
Photographed close to retirement in 1926.
 
NUMBER 5 WAS PURCHASED IN 1894
The 4-6-0 was built by Rhode Island in 1889 for the Empire Lumber Co. and was retired in 1917.
 
 
NUMBER 5 WAS THE SECOND NPRR "WAKEFIELD" - AT KINGSTON
 
 
 NUMBER 6 WAS ACQUIRED FROM THE NEW HAVEN IN 1914
The 4-4-0 was built by Manchester as NYP&B 25 and became New Haven Number 1937, Class D-12.
Photographed in New Haven while the NPRR was under NH control.
Number 6 was out of service in 1920 and scrapped in 1923 
 
 
 NUMBER 20 WAS PURCHASED FROM THE NEW HAVEN IN 1930 AND RETIRED IN 1937
THE 4-4-0 TYPE WAS BUILT BY THE ROXBURY SHOPS IN 1903 AS NUMBER 783
AND WAS RENUMBERED 1577 CLASS C-3-b
PHOTO BY SCOTT THOMAS 
 
PEACE DALE WAS 4.8 MILES FROM KINGSTON
 
Drawn for the September 1974 Model Railroader Magazine by Robert A. Wegner
The second story is an addition.  The rear and other side drawigs are in the issue. 
 
 
 PEACE DALE
 
PEACE DALE - NOVEMBER 16, 1953
 
PEACE DALE - SEPTEMBER 1977
 
 
ENGINEHOUSE AT PEACE DALE - 1936.   NUMBER 20 IS INSIDE.
THE ENGINEHOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1891.  THERE WAS ONCE A TURNTABLE AT PEACEDALE.
 
 
ENGINEHOUSE AT PEACE DALE - THE FLAT CAR HAD BEEN A NH BOX CAR
 
PEACE DALE FREIGHT HOUSE - STATION TO THE RIGHT
 
ACQUIRED FROM THE NEW HAVEN IN 1943 - PAINTED BLUE - SHOWN IN 1947
 
NUMBER 11 WAS BUILT BY COOKE IN 1922 FOR CUBA BUT NOT DELIVERED
ALCO's Cooke Works in Patterson, NJ built over fifty small engines 1920-1925 expecting to sell them to Cuban railroads but the builder was not successful in selling all of them.  Number 11 apparently arrived on the NPRR in 1923 but was built in 1922 although sometimes reported as built in 1920 since it appears that since the Cuban locomotives were built on speculation they may have been started and not immediately finished as other work and sales dictated.
NPRR sold Number 11 to the Bath & Hammondsport in 1937
Restored to service by the Everett RR of Pennsylvania in 2017

Restored by the Everett RR of Pennsylvania in 2017


 
NUMBER 11 WAS BUILT BY ALCO'S COOKE WORKS INTENDED FOR CUBA

Restored by the Everett RR in 2017
Photo by Bob Krug


 
 
 
 NOVEMBER 14, 1931
 
 
 
Number 34, a 35-passenger Evans Rail Bus, provided passenger service from 1942 to 1953.
 
NUMBER 30 WAS BUILT BY PYMOUTH IN 1937 -  DESTROYED IN SHOP FIRE IN 1963
Photographed June 18, 1950 during a fan trip.  Railbus Number 36 is at the left
 The combine on the right , Number 35, was purchased in 1943.  It was Delaware & Northern 81 and
Long Island Rail Road 240.  Passenger service by rail ended in 1951 when Railbus 36 broke an axle.
 
 
NUMBER 33 WAS BUILT BY PLYMOUTH IN 1938, PURCHASED FROM THE BOSTON & MAINE IN 1942 (B&M 101) AND SOLD 1959.  SHOWN AUGUST 7, 1959 IN CRANSTON. 
 
 
Number 35 was a 25-ton Plymouth built in 1929 and acquired in 1967.
 
 
 Gasoline powered 35 at Peacedale in August 1971.
 
NUMBER 38 AT CONDENSED LIQUIFIED FISH OIL TANK AT PEACE DALE MARCH 2, 1959
38 was built by General Electric in 1958 (235 HP, 35 tons).  Sold 1967.
 
NUMBER 40 IS A 65-TON, 235 HORSEPOWER VULCAN BUILT IN 1943.
PURCHASED IN 1963 - EX-U.S.NAVY, PORTSMOUTH NAVY YARD
 
Number 40 at the Peacedale Freight House.
 
 
 
NUMBER 40 WITH EX-BOSTON & MAINE COMBINE IN 1965
Excursion Service Lasted Only A Year
 
 
40 and 41 at Peacedale with a rail fan special in June 1972.
 
 
 
 
Subpages (1): WOOD RIVER
Comments