Yesler Creek remained unaffected by European settlement until the late 19th century when the Lake Shore and Eastern Railroad expanded to northeast Seattle (Barret, 1981; p. 6). The first major development of the area began with the establishment of Yesler Mill – also known as the “Yesler Coal, Wood, and Lumber Company” (Barrett, 1981; p. 13) – which was constructed in 1888. By 1892, the mill supported 36 employees who could cut “7,500 board feet of lumber every twelve hours” (Larson, 2005; p. 169). The success of the mill encouraged the growth of a small town, called the Town of Yesler, which included thirty-eight homes, a single church, and Yesler School (Barrett, 1981; p. 13, 38).
Image of the Yesler Coal, Wood, and Lumber Company (Barrett, 1981).
Map of the Yesler Creek area (Barrett, 1981).
Barrett, C., & Laurelhurst Community Club. (1981). A history of Laurelhurst. S.l: s.n..
City of Seattle. (1999). Streams and Watersheds of Seattle [map]. Retrieved from http://www.seattle.gov/parks/environment/livinggreen/watersheds.jpg.
Larson, R. J. (2005). The flora of Seattle in 1850: Major species and landscapes prior to urban development.
Larson, R. J. (2012, February 13). Personal Interview.