Lets get started...

Christmas concert shirt

posted 12 Jan 2014, 14:56 by Amanda McEwen

My oldest had a christmas concert in December, and had nothing really nice to wear to it.  So I made him a new shirt. I used a burda pattern # 9524, and some left over fabric my older sister had given me.

I enjoyed working with this pattern. I found the sizes true, and the instructions straight forward. I have husky boys. Not plump, just not skinny. I find that the german company Burda is a great company if you are sewing for someone who is husky. Their sizes seem to fit a little better than the standard market sizes designed for the fashion world. This shirt went together really fast, and I liked the straight forward construction on the collar. This was our end result.

I did not put any pockets on, and I did not do the sleeve folds. I wanted it very simple and clean, this pattern was very easy to make minor alterations to. There are few things in life better than great free fabric and a great pattern.

What to wear?

posted 12 Jan 2014, 13:27 by Amanda McEwen   [ updated 12 Jan 2014, 13:28 ]

My cousin got married this August and for two weeks I'd been unhappy with everything I had available to wear. I went to the fabric store on the hunt for a vintage pattern I'd seen on sale. Well, no dice, it was already gone. So I wandered the shop looking at fabrics and noticed a dummy wearing a super cute, could be vintage, dress. I, of course, had to track down the clerk and ask for the pattern to that dress. 
McCalls 6557 

I didn't know what I was going to make it out of yet but I knew it would be awesome when I did. My mother came over for a picnic a few days later, and brought me an ikea duvet cover she'd bought at the goodwill. There was a 3inch round bleach stain on one corner, but I could work with that. The fabric for this duvet cover instantly reminded me of a dress I'd seen on a runway at some point. Large squares of purple, apple green, teal, dark blue. And by large, I mean 8 inches across. I knew right away that I had to make this fabric into the new dress pattern. It worked like a dream. It's a heavier, quilting weight cotton and because it was a duvet it was meant to take some wear and tear. 

The pattern was very straight forward and easy to work with. I am not as busty as the pattern is designed for, so I overlapped the front a little more, and angled it down a bit for modesty. I am also really big on practicality, being a mum of two little ones, and I like pockets. So, in went a couple of large side seam pockets. I chose the shorter length option. I did quite like it, but I think It would be really nice full length or just a couple inches shorter to accommodate my whopping 5'6" frame. This is a full circle skirt, so it's great for a party.  I think it would lend itself well to several layers of sheer for a more elegant evening dress. 

Over all, I'm really happy with this pattern. Easy to follow instructions, and really fun to wear. Thanks to my Mum for supplying the fabric that was perfect for this project! FYI: I find that duvet covers, king size sheets, and quilts are the best pieces to buy, for really reasonable prices at the goodwill, when you are planning a project that uses a lot of fabric. Plus, how can you deny the great patterns they come in?  

Baby Bubbles set

posted 11 Apr 2013, 16:53 by Amanda McEwen   [ updated 7 Jul 2013, 17:32 ]

This little outfit was made from a child size pillow case. I wanted to try out a free pattern that I found online and since it came in Newborn size, I thought it would be perfect to make a trial version for my sons doll. I'm in love with this little set. It is a pillowcase style top with shoulder ties, and little diaper pants. My son loves this little doll and totes it around all over, taking care of 'baby' like daddy does.

Getting Started, the Green dress

posted 11 Apr 2013, 16:13 by Amanda McEwen

My first recycled item was made from a great geometric duvet cover that I found at the local thrift shop, for $3 or so.  Instantly, I could see it as a great 50's style house dress. It turned out really well for a first try.
I have since decide that i didn't like the way the collar stuck out, so I took it off. I didn't care for the sleeves, so I removed them. And I am planning to shorten it a little.

1-4 of 4