- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder for dusting
- oil for frying
- Place water, butter, and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a heavy saucepan, cook over medium heat and bring to boil. Add flour into the saucepan, stir with wooden spatula until the mixture clumps together into a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Transfer dough into a mixing bowl, add vanilla extract and 3 eggs (one at the time) while stirring with spatula. The dough should look soft and shiny but still sticking to the spatula. If not, add one more egg. Place dough in a pastry bag with star tip. Pipe lines of dough onto cookie sheet lined with wax paper, about 5 inches each. Store the cookie sheet in a freezer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the dough turn firm.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to 375 degrees F. Work in batches, fry the churros in the oil, about 2 minutes for each side, until they are golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon powder in a large plate. Roll warm churros in the sugar mixture until completely coated.
Makes about 20 5-inch churros