Redland Green's grade II listed memorial drinking fountain
Historic England's website gives a sparse description of the grade II listed drinking fountain (pictured, right) which is located at the corner of Redland Green and Redland Roads, as follows:
JOHN BRYANT AND EMILY CLIFFORD MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN, REDLAND GREEN ROAD
District: City of Bristol District Type: Unitary Authority Grade: II Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977
Drinking fountain. Late C19. Portland stone with red granite basin and marble splashback. A Portland panel has a weathered top and relief irises and birds, a semicircular-arched recess with basin and inscribed marble.
John Clifford of the Clifford Association (a one-name study group) visited Redland Chapel's churchyard in late 2018 to see if there was a grave or a memorial to John Bryant Clifford. He was pleased to be able to locate the grave in the churchyard, with the help of local historians. It has the reference E10.
Who was John Bryant Clifford?
John Bryant Clifford (1804 - 1886) was the incumbent and first vicar of St. Matthew's Church, Kingsdown for over 40 years from 1836 to 1879. He is buried at the chapel as there is no graveyard at St Matthew's, a Victorian building. There are two memorial plaques at St Matthew's to him and to his wife Emily.
The drinking fountain on Redland Green is in memory of John Bryant & Emily Clifford. This is opposite the family home on Redland Road which has “Clifford House” inscribed in the stonework. One of their sons, Edward, was an eminent artist, and a second, Alfred, was the first Bishop of Lucknow, India. Their daughter Mary was a guardian of the poor and early fighter for women’s rights. There is a plaque dedicated to her in Bristol Cathedral.
See the fountain's full listing at: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1202494