011 Stark Street to Chanticleer Point

Retaining Wall After Curve, Westbound
Historic Columbia River Highway. Oregon. January 6, 2014 

1924 Mileposts: Stark Street Bridge (1914) - 16.7

The Stark Street Bridge, 1916
Clarence E. Mershon. The Columbia River Highway: From the Sea to the Wheat Fields of Eastern Oregon. Portland: Guardian Peaks Enterprises. 2006. 1st Edition. 77

1889 Map - Portions of the Wire Trail, Rooster Rock Road, and Latourell Road
Multnomah County 1889
Atlas: Multnomah County 1889
State: Oregon
Habersham, Robert A 1889


1916 - Troutdale - Detail - HCRH Troutdale to Chanticleer

Having ascertained these facts the writer made several trips over the proposed route of the highway, and it was found that from the western boundary of the county, passing through the city of Portland to Chanticleer Inn, 22 miles to the east, the existing roads, serving a splendid agricultural section, are for the most part comparatively level, and with the exception of some short and dangerous curves in several places, and steep grades on both approaches to the Sandy River, these roads require but little more than drainage and hard surfacing to make them reasonably good, although, of course, the location can be improved materially in many places. (Lancaster, 1914 58)

Auto Club, Dabney Park, Springdale - CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Page 050 - Township 1 S. Range 4 E., Sandy River, Section Line Road Fruit Tract
Atlas: Multnomah County 1927
State: Oregon
Metsker Maps 1927
Historic Map Works.

Corbett to Larch Mountain Road, 1927  - CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Page 053 - Township 1 N. Range 4 E., Rooster Rock, Houston Acres, Columbia River
Atlas: Multnomah County 1927
State: Oregon
Metsker Maps 1927 
Item # US1363566 
Historic Map Works.

Ehrmanor, Menucha, Chanticleer
Google Maps

Oregon State Archives - A 1940 Journey Across Oregon:

The road cuts between the cliffs and the waters at the SANDY RIVER,174.5 m. [West of Hwy. 730 Junction] This stream, flowing from the glaciers on the south slope of Mount Hood, was discovered by Lieut. William Broughton on October 30, 1792, and named Barings River for an English family. The bluffs near the river mouth now bear the name of the discoverer. Lewis and Clark passed this point on November 3, 1805, and in their Journals record the immense quantities of sand thrown out. They wrote: "We reached the mouth of a river on the left, which seemed to lose its waters in a sandbar opposite, the stream itself being only a few inches in depth. But on attempting to wade across we discovered that the bed was a very bad quicksand, too deep to be passed on foot.... Its character resembles very much that of the river Platte. It drives its quicksand over the low grounds with great impetuosity and ... has formed a large sandbar or island, three miles long and a mile and a half wide, which divides the waters of the Quicksand river into two channels." The river is noted locally for its annual run of smelt (eulachan), which ascend in millions each spring to spawn. When they appear the word goes out that "the smelt are running Sandy." Cars soon crowd the highways, while hundreds of people snare the fish with sieves, nets, buckets, sacks or birdcages. (Special license required, 5c)


CLICK HERE to continue exploring the highway

CLICK HERE to continue exploring the highway