2 TBSP oil - I used Olive
1 pound ground turkey - you could also use ground beef
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 garlic gloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 green peppers, diced
1 TBSP chili powder
1/2 TBSP cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne - more or less as desired
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 12 ounce can Dr Pepper (diet for a lighter dish)
1 cup chicken broth
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained
1 15 ounce can chili beans, do not drain
1 15 ounce can Mexican diced tomatoes
1. In a large pot, heat oil on medium heat and add the ground turkey. Brown turkey, about 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink.
2. Add onions to meat and saute until tender and translucent.
3. Add bell peppers and cook for additional 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute.
5. Stir in spices and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add Dr Pepper, tomato paste and chicken broth to the mixture - stir in well!
7. Continue to stir until tomato paste is completely dissolved.
8. Add the beans and diced tomatoes.
9. Bring chili to a simmer and keep at a simmer for at least 30 minutes. This recipe can simmer for up to 2 hours as long as you stir occasionally.
10. Serve hot from the pot!
11. Top chili with sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions and corn chips! Delicious!