6 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 lbs thinly sliced deli honey ham, chopped
1/2 lbs. thinly sliced Swiss cheese
4 TBSP butter
4 TBSP flour
3 cups whole milk
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP Dijon mustart
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
4 TBSP butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 baking pan.
2. Build casserole by laying all of the shredded chicken on the bottom of the pan evenly.
3. After chopping ham, layer it on top of the shredded chicken.
4. Place Swiss cheese slices over ham.
5. Begin preparing sauce by melting the butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. When butter is melted, quickly stir in the flour to form a smooth roux. Make sure the roux does not brown or burn!
6. Once the roux is smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in the cold milk while stirring gingerly to make a smooth sauce.
7. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Stir in the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, paprika and pepper. I did feel like the sauce took awhile to thicken but it will eventually. Keep stirring!
8. Bring sauce just back to a low boil and turn off heat.
9. Pour sauce over casserole layers evenly.
10. To make the topping melt the butter in the microwave in a medium sized microwaveable bowl.
11. Once melted stir in the panko bread crumbs and dried parsley.
12. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the casserole evenly.
13. Bake casserole for 45-50 minutes. Casserole should be bubbly and topping should be golden brown when done.
14. Serve warm and enjoy!!