Pork spare ribs ,1 kg chopped into 3cm cubes
Pork stock or water
Star anise, 3
Garlic, 3 cloves smashed
Ginger, 2 slices with skin left on
10-15 small dried red chillies, soaked until softened
Curry powder, 1 tablespoon
Hoisin sauce, 1 heaped tablespoon
Ground Bean paste, 1 heaped tablespoon
Dark soy sauce, ½ tablespoon
Shaoxing wine, 1/3 cup
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Sugar, 3-4 teaspoons
Pumpkin, quarter of a whole pumpkin chopped into bite sized pieces
1. Par-boil the pork cubs and rinse with cold water.
2. Heat peanut oil in a wok. Add in garlic, ginger, star anise, chillies, Hoisin sauce, Chu Hou paste, Ground Bean paste and fry over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
3. Add the pork cubes into the wok and fry for 7 minutes until the pork pieces are browned and coated in the sauces/pastes.
4. Then add in the curry powder and dark soy sauce and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add in the Shaoxing wine to deglaze the wok and fry for 1-2 minutes.
6. Transfer the pork to a pot and add in hot stock or water to just cover the pork.
7. Bring to boil and then simmer on low heat for 1.5 hours until the pork pieces are tender.
8. Bring to boil again to season with a little salt and sugar to taste.
9.Then add in the pumpkin pieces (move to the bottom of the pot) and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
Serve with rice