1 tablespoon olive oil
4 shoulder lamb chops
1 large sweet onion , cut in half,and each half quartered
3 medium carrots , cut in half inch circles
3 large celery ribs , with leaves,cut in half inch lengths
1/2 lemon , unpeeled,cut in very thin slices
1/2 cup red wine (sherry or port is good) or 1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes , diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
4 cloves garlic , smashed
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1/2 cup cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 -4 sprigs fresh mint , leaves removed and rolled up,cut in thin strips
1. Trim fat from chops.
2. Heat oil in large deep non stick frypan or Dutch oven; brown chops on both sides, about 5 minutes each side; remove from pan, set aside.
3. In the same pan, add onion chunks, saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add carrots, celery, salt and pepper and lemon slices, saute until caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Stir in wine or broth, bring to simmer and deglaze pan.
6. Meanwhile, empty tomatoes, undrained, into a bowl, add curry powder, cumin, coriander, garlic and soy sauce.
7. Stir to mix, pour tomato mixture into pan; stir to mix with caramelized veggies.
8. Return chops to pan and spoon mixture over them.
9. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour or until chops are fork tender.
10. Make a slurry of cold water and cornstarch, stir into pan and bring to boil, simmer until juices are thickened.
11. Sprinkle with chopped fresh mint.
12. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice or noodles.